[sust-mar] Editor & Layout Design, contract, NSPIRG, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Sun May 15 11:10:01 EDT 2016

* Work in environment, conservation & nature - GoodWork.ca *

CONTRACT POSITION / HONORARIUM
http://GoodWork.ca/963743

Position: Underg(rad) Journal, Editor and Layout Design
Type: honorarium position (see Timeline and Pay, below)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hiring: Underg(rad) Journal, Editor and Layout Design

Applications Due: Friday May 27, 2016, at 11:59 PM (AST)

About the Underg(rad) Journal

This past year NSPIRG ran the 2nd annual Underg(RAD) Journal: a journal of research and writing in social and environmental justice. In our first year, we were open only to undergraduate students at Dalhousie and King's. This year, we expanded the journal, to include writing from students at all campuses in the HRM, as well as non-academic & community writing, and poetry. We want to create a space to highlight and share some of this amazing work, both celebrating it in our present day, and archiving it so that it can still be found in the future. We're excited about the future potential this project holds.

Job Description

The goal is to turn the selected papers into a published, physical journal before the end of the summer. The selected papers will have already gone through one round of editing by a team of volunteer editors.

The person in this position would be responsible for:
• Doing the final copy editing of the ten papers for spelling, grammar, and readability
• Designing the layout of the journal
• Formatting the journal layout of the journal (the papers, bibliographies, introduction, table of contents, page numbers, etc)
• Working with NSPIRG staff to send the journal to print at a local publishing house

Qualifications:
• Experience editing written work
• An asset but not required: experience in editing academic work in the social sciences
• Experience with layout creation
• Experience with layout software (most likely Adobe Indesign, but please be in touch if there is something else you use)
• Experience working on project-based work with a timeline
• Experience or knowledge of social justice and anti-oppression principles

We have some capacity to provide help with layout or design software, but do not have capacity to provide full training from a beginner level for this position.

Timeline and Pay

This is an honorarium position for $1,000. $250 will be paid up front upon beginning the contract, $250 will be paid after one month of work, and the remaining $500 will be paid upon completion of the project.

Estimated hours of work: ~60 hours

Estimated timeline: Early June – Late July, so that the final layout can be sent to print in August.

About NSPIRG

The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG) is a non-profit, social and environmental justice research and resource centre. We are located in the Student Union Building at Dalhousie University. NSPIRG’s mandate is to empower, educate and inspire action on social justice issues in Nova Scotia. We are a student and volunteer-driven organization working within an anti-oppression framework.

To Apply

Please submit a resume that outlines your relevant skills (max 2 pages) and a cover letter that includes your interest in the project (max 1 page). If you are emailing your application, please clearly indicate that you are applying for the Undergrad Journal position, and please include your name in the file names of your resume and letter.

We will be using a shortened hiring process for these positions, but may still contact you for an interview.

Applications Due: Friday May 27, 2016, at 11:59 PM (AST)

Applications may be emailed to:
hiring at nspirg.ca

Or dropped off at:

NSPIRG Hiring Committee
Room B24, 6136 University Ave
Halifax, NS B3H 4J2

http://GoodWork.ca/963743

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=34736

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca