[sust-mar] Senior Coordinator - Food Network and Policy, f/t, Ecology Action Center, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Feb 23 10:30:13 EST 2017

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

JOB OPPORTUNITY
http://FoodWork.ca/906483

Position: Senior Coordinator, Network and Policy Development (Food Team) – Halifax (maternity leave replacement)
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

About the Our Food Project

The Food Action Committee project Our Food: Reconnecting Food and Community is seeking a full-time Senior Coordinator for the Halifax office for a one year maternity leave replacement.

The overarching goal of the Our Food Project is to strengthen communities' relationship to food by helping to build ‘positive food environments’. These are the physical and social spaces that help to normalize healthy eating by making it easier to grow, sell, and eat good food. We work at the individual, community and systemic level to increase the availability of nutritious food as well as our access to it, and actively involve citizens in the development of more localized food systems.

This position is one of two project co-leads of a highly collaborative 8 person team. The job requires someone who is knowledgeable and passionate about food systems work, as well as an experienced facilitator and team builder. The successful candidate will be a skilled project manager, with demonstrated abilities in budget management, fundraising, and strategic partnership development. The successful candidate will also be a skilled network facilitator with an interest in policy change work and the ability to think creatively, inspire innovation, and translate conceptual thinking into action.

The position will support and be supported by the rest of the project staff, based in Halifax, Cumberland County, Cape Breton and sister project in New Brunswick. The position reports to the EAC’s staff directors.

The Senior Coordinator, Network and Policy Development (Food Team) duties include:
• Providing leadership and support to EAC’s food team: Co-leading strategic oversight and partnership development, human resources (HR management and team support), budget management, and fundraising efforts for EAC’s food work.
• Supporting innovative initiatives that strengthen regional food systems: Providing strategic oversight and expansion of the Mobile Food Market (MFM) in Halifax through participation on MFM advisory committee.
• Network development and support: Providing leadership and advisory support to Halifax-based networks; guiding alignment and action of policy change initiatives across Nova Scotia, and; participation in Food Secure Canada’s provincial and territorial network.
• Policy influence activities: Collaborating with Our Food Project staff and regional networks to identify and contribute to food policy change efforts at the local level; participating on policy working groups and conducting research on food policy issues.
• Supporting project communications, administration and evaluation: Including, but not limited to submitting reports to the funder, ensuring that project deliverables are met, traditional and social media, data collection and management.
• Additional Responsibilities: Managing volunteers and students; supporting the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre and the Food Action Committee and other tasks as required.

Required skills and experience:
• At least 3 years of project management experience, including but not limited to managing a project budget, ensuring deliverables are met, project reporting, fostering coordination amongst team members;
• At least 3 years of experience managing staff and volunteers;
• Proven ability to network and build partner relationships;
• Fundraising experience, including grant writing and other partnership building;
• In depth knowledge of food policy issues in Nova Scotia and experience translating this knowledge to others;
• Ability to empower, develop, motivate, and engage others in action;
• Creative problem solving skills;
• Strong organizational skills, friendly and patient;
• Strong communication skills, verbal and written including facilitation and presentation skills;
• Willingness to learn, experiment and adapt;
• Comfortable in a highly collaborative organizational structure;
• Commitment to social and environmental justice;
• Initiative, self-motivation and the ability to work independently.

Desirable skills and experience:
• Experience using developmental evaluation methods;
• Solid understanding of health equity issues;
• Experience in a non-profit environment.

Terms of Employment

Start: April 18th, 2017
End: Early May, 2018

37.5 hours per week @ $23-25/hour, based on experience

Cost-shared benefits plan and 4 weeks paid vacation per year

Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 am to 5 pm. Some evening/weekend work will be required.

Location: This position will be based at our Halifax office.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume (including 2 references) to Aimee Gasparetto, Senior Coordinator, Community Food, at:
aimee at ecologyaction.ca
Please submit your application in the form of a pdf document with required elements in the following order: cover letter, resume, references.

DUE DATE: Wednesday March 15th at 4pm

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as: racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

http://FoodWork.ca/906483

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=38460

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca