[sust-mar] Communications volunteer, FOUND Forgotten Food, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jan 4 13:43:25 EST 2017

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

VOLUNTEER POSITION
http://FoodWork.ca/962373

Position: Communications Coordinator
Location: Halifax / HRM, Nova Scotia (can be mostly from home)

About FOUND Forgotten Food

FOUND strives to reduce food waste by gathering and sharing forgotten fruits and vegetables in Halifax, NS. We source our food from local producers, farmers’ markets, and even the trees around us that otherwise wouldn’t end up on our plates.

All too often, foods that are considered ‘imperfect’ are left in the field to rot, and ripe produce at farmers’ markets is thrown away due to short shelf life. To help address this problem, FOUND collects this forgotten food and donates a part of each fresh harvest to local food banks and shelters, with the remaining being offered wholesale to local cafes and restaurants. Food that isn’t distributed immediately is transformed by FOUND into shelf-stable preserves and other goods that are sold at local markets and shops.

During our first year, FOUND harvested 3,242 pounds of fresh, local produce that would have otherwise been wasted, and instead shared that food with various community groups throughout Halifax.

The Communications Coordinator duties include:
• Creating and sending bi-weekly e-newsletters, as well as additional e-newsletters for special events and volunteer opportunities as needed, using MailChimp newsletter software
• Daily monitoring of the "info at foundns.com" email account, answering basic inquiries and/or dispatching emails to the appropriate team member
• Leading FOUND's social media strategy (Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram posts) to highlight food waste topics, promotion of community events, promotion of FOUND in the news, etc.
• Tracking website and social media traffic
• Occassionally updating the FOUND website, including updating forgotten food weight and harvest statistics
• Attending bi-weekly Core Member meetings and assisting with other tasks/events when possible

Desired skills and experience:
• Passionate about food issues, reducing food waste, and sustainability
• Familiary with MailChimp, Wordpress, and HootSuite
• Experience in developing a social media strategy considered an asset
• Strong written communication skills
• A desire to seek out interesting food-related and sustainability-related content to share online

This position is approximately 10 hours / week, most of which can be done from home. FOUND strongly believes in skill-building, and our goal with volunteers is to provide an environment in which existing skills are utilized and valued but also where new skills can be developed.

To apply

Please send a brief expression of interest and resume to:
info at foundns.com

Applications will be accepted immediately and the position will remain open until a suitable candidate is selected.

http://FoodWork.ca/962373

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=37326

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca