[sust-mar] Organic farming 2017, f/t, accom., Centre Burlington, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jan 11 14:58:38 EST 2017

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

ORGANIC FARMING OPPORTUNITY
http://FoodWork.ca/953763

Position: Organic Farm Paid Interns (4 positions)
Type: full-time weekly base salary plus room and board, more (see below)
Farm: Abundant Acres http://abundant-acres.com
Location: Centre Burlington, Hants County, Nova Scotia

Are you committed to a career in agriculture? Are you looking for a chance to build farming skills while saving up some money? If so, we would like to talk with you.

About the farm: We grow organic vegetables for a 175 family CSA, a busy farmer’s market stall and several wholesale accounts including Dalhousie University. Our farm is on 90 acres of fields, forest, and salt marsh on the banks of a tidal river near the Bay of Fundy. We are constantly experimenting with new crops and production systems. In 2017, we plan to grow six acres of vegetables. We also keep free range laying hens for eggs and graze a small herd of cattle

Our farm is too complex to manage by ourselves, so we ask each employee to manage one of our four production systems. These are 1. seedling and production greenhouses, 2. short season crops on pemanent beds, 3. mechanically cultivated row crops, and 4. plasticulture crops. To see how the farm crew worked last year, please see our blog post about it, or the article written by Dakota Varen on the Grow A Farmer blog.

The team so far:
• Jen Greenberg is in charge of animals, fruit, finances and customer relations.
• David Greenberg leads vegetable production. He spends a lot of time on maintenance of equipment and infrastructure, and coming up with new ideas.
• Marshall Zuern is returning for his fourth season with us. He is our field production manager, respondsible for managing harvests, wholesale orders and training a new person to do the job he did so well last year: Growing 1.5 acres of high value, short season crops on pemanent raised beds.

The position is from mid-April until mid-November. We offer a base salary of $300 per week, plus room and board. We also offer workman’s comp, and a paid one week vacation mid summer. At the end of the season, you will be eligible for EI. Higher pay is possible for applicants with extensive farming experience. Year round employment with room and board is a possibility.

Apply by email to: Jen Greenberg, jenredfox at gmail.com. Please send a letter of intent, resume, and three references. Position will be posted until hiring is complete. If this interests you, don’t delay getting in touch!

Questions? Call David Greenberg 902-757-1640 or email davidgreenberg71 at gmail.com

http://FoodWork.ca/953763

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/job=37502

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms