[sust-mar] New Speakers Added - Jan 19 Event - Canada's Coal Phase Out and Why It’s Possible Here, Too

Gabby Mills Gabby at ecologyaction.ca
Wed Jan 18 08:06:14 EST 2017

Our panel event is only one day away! Please share this invitation widely with your networks.
We look forward to seeing everyone this Thursday for a presentation from featured guest, Bruce Lourie, President of the Ivey Foundation and Director with the Independent Electricity System Operator. Panelists from the NS Department of Environment, Nova Scotia Power, and the Schulich School of Law will provide perspectives on the future of Nova Scotia’s energy systems.
Join us for a lively open discussion with the public, and be sure to bring your best questions and biggest ideas!
“Canada’s Coal Phase-Out and Why It’s Possible Here, Too”

Date and Time:
Thursday, January 19th, 2017
4:00pm – 5:30pm
Location:
Dalhousie University, Weldon Law Building
Room 105
6061 University Avenue, Halifax

RSVP
Let us know if you will join us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/events/1193077600812004/> !
What is the future of coal-fired electricity generation in Nova Scotia?  How do we move away from this fuel as quickly as we can, while considering the needs of all Nova Scotians in this transition?
In November 2016, the provincial and federal governments reached an agreement-in-principle regarding the phase-out of coal-fired electricity in Nova Scotia, which allows coal plants to continue operating into the 2030 decade. Details are under negotiation between the two governments, and Nova Scotians are discussing our best path forward.
This event will feature special guest Bruce Lourie, who was involved in the phase-out of coal-fired electricity in Ontario. Mr. Lourie will present his perspective, while panelists will be present to provide their reactions and be available for an open discussion period during the event.
Featured Guest:
Bruce Lourie – Author, President of the Ivey Foundation, Director with the Independent Electricity System Operator
Panelists:
Meinhard Doelle – Professor of Law, Schulich School of Law
Jason Hollett - Executive Director of Climate Change Team, Nova Scotia Department of Environment
Michael Sampson – Director of General Asset Management, Nova Scotia Power Inc.
Moderator:
Lisa Mitchell - Executive Director, East Coast Environmental Law
[cid:2f33f29e-4194-4846-b49b-9b4ba0ae2a80]