[sust-mar] Upcoming events at The Deanery Project- please circulate widely!

Lauren Latour laureneclatour at gmail.com
Thu May 4 16:12:42 EDT 2017

We have some exciting events coming up in the next couple of months at The Deanery Project, and wanted to make sure you were aware! Please share this notice and the event details widely throughout your networks.

Best,
Lauren Latour
Communications and Outreach
The Deanery Project
thedeaneryproject.com <http://thedeaneryproject.com/>
New events are always being added to our schedule! To make sure you're up to date, follow us on Facebook, and check the calendar on our website frequently!

May Open House and Garden Readiness Sunday May 7th, 13:00-15:00

Free Event!

Come on out to The Deanery Project to explore the Eastern Shore, and learn about all that we do! Take a tour of the grounds, sit on the dock, hike our trails, or get down in the dirt with us! We’ll be spending the afternoon getting the gardens underway, and planting out saplings in our tree nursery. Donations of seeds and plants are much appreciated! If you’re interested in tending to your own plot, there are options in our community gardens.

Wilderness & Remote First Aid Certification Course (Canadian Red Cross) with Adventure + Safety Atlantic May 26th-28th

This 20 hour Canadian Red Cross certification course will be taught by Adventure & Safety Atlantic over 3 days and two nights here at The Deanery.

Through reality-based scenarios participants will explore remote first aid realities, learning essential leadership skills, and management of environmental threats. Emphasis is on practical skills, decision making, and dealing with possible outdoor incidents during the day and at night.

Course registration is $350, including all meals and accommodations (with bursaries, and membership discounts available).

To register contact thedeaneryproject at gmail.com (902.845.1888) or complete this form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc8T7s_dInpSwG-TVToih3rOWCajL-4tHjRul6B1AXIxhXLiQ/viewform?usp=sf_link>.

Adventure + Safety Atlantic’s Webpage Here <http://adventureandsafety.ca/>

Bicycle Carnival Saturday June 10th, 12:00-18:00

A Deanery classic, the Bicycle Carnival returns this spring! With an emphasis on all-ages fun, skill building, and carbon-neutral transportation, the Bicycle Carnival is a fantastic combination of all things “Deanery”.

Bring out your bike, or borrow one of ours; this year’s carnival will offer great food, group rides, clinics, a tune-up shop, performances, crafts, and so much more!

Preregistration isn't required, but is appreciated (you can do so here <https://goo.gl/forms/PhYkqPEyJDld3eL92>). Visit our website and facebook page for details in the coming weeks!

Green Woodworking Workshop with Little Foot Yurts
Saturday June 17th, 10:00- 17:00

An introduction to woodland skills for working with green wood, and coppicing to create low impact forest resources with Alex & Selene Cole of Little Foot Yurts.

This hands on workshop will include: erecting a yurt, pole shaving, coppice harvest, and building a green woodworking shelter.

Learn about tools, and traditional forest management techniques.

Leave with a self-made wooden mallet to aid in future greenwood and yurt building adventures!

Registration fee $80 includes lunch and materials. To register, complete this form <https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdRQpK6STU5a5BcaTR1u6P1vOOZmtqaHNiAj1hcB2nazQZM6Q/viewform?usp=sf_link>, or email thedeaneryproject at gmail.com <mailto:thedeaneryproject at gmail.com>.

Permaculture Design Certification Intensive (with P3 Permaculture) August 14th-27th

Back by popular demand, P3 will be returning this summer to lead a two-week, internationally recognized, Permaculture Design Certification Course.

From the P3 Website:

This course aims to equip students to feel confident in their ability to design positive solutions in their gardens, in their communities, and in their own lives. At P3 Permaculture we emphasize that permaculture goes beyond agriculture; permaculture is a holistic design system that we can apply on any scale and in any situation.

The first principle of permaculture is “Observe and Interact.” Close observation of the natural principles that drive ecological systems is one of the cornerstones of permaculture. In permaculture we believe that nature knows best, and that designs based on earth’s logic is the best way to heal broken systems.

Our curriculum pays particular attention to energy, water, and food systems, as well as various aspects of social permaculture including social economies, and self and community care. For more information, or to register, visit P3’s webpage <http://www.p3permaculture.ca/deanerypdc.html> for the event.

Course registration fee includes meals and accommodations for two weeks, in addition to all course supplies.