[sust-mar] SYDNEY Solar Information Session & Construction Course!

Daniel MacKay daniel at bonmot.ca
Wed May 24 16:54:47 EDT 2017

Solar Nova Scotia is delighted to announce TWO Solar courses in Sydney on Friday the 23rdm and Saturday the 24th of June!

Course 1: Solar Nova Scotia’s Solar Basics Course!

In the Solar Basics Course, you will learn the underlying basics of the relationship between us and the Sun, the amount of resource that’s available to us, and the ways that we can harness that resource. We’ll look at how we can convert that resource into electricity, thermal energy in the form of hot water and space heating, and the fundamentals of how those work and what you can expect to get out of them, and a rough idea of how much they cost.

We’ll look at the remarkable Lunenbur Foundry’s LIFE design which can melt metals and vaporize copper at ground level, with a couple of curved mirrors!

You will also learn how to build a home that costs the same as a traditional, non-solar house, but gets 50% of its energy from the sun. This type of home will be the subject of the Construction Course to follow, the next day.

This course is intended for the general public and does not involve any specialized math, science, or building technology knowledge.