[sust-mar] Forest school educators & teachers, f/t, Saint John, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Oct 30 10:08:39 EDT 2017

* Work in nature, conservation & environment - GoodWork.ca *

JOB POSTING
https://GoodWork.ca/913924

Position: Forest School educator
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick

We are always looking for passionate and enthusiastic educators to join our team!

Due to the success of our current programs and great interest in our new ones, we are pleased to announce that Tír na nÓg Forest Schools in Saint John and Quispamsis is now accepting applications for part-time and full-time educator positions!

We are hiring preschool educators, as well as teachers for Grades 1, 2 and 3!

Cover letters and resume's must be emailed to:
saintjohn at tirnanogforestschool.com

We look forward to meeting you!

Application for Forest School Educator position

Posting Date: October 13, 2017

Position : Forest School preschool educator and Elementary School teacher

Location : Saint John, NB / Quispamsis, NB

Hourly wage: $15-19/hour

Overview:

Tír na nÓg Forest School is a play-based, all-outdoors, all-weather outdoor preschool and Elementary program. We are seeking adventurous and enthusiastic educators to join our team. Our program’s philosophy is inspired by the belief that all young children have the innate capacity to wonder, create, and develop their gifts through self-directed play and time in nature. We offer full-day preschool programs in Quispamsis and Saint John on Mondays through Thursdays, and full-day Elementary programs in Saint John, Mondays through Fridays.

Please visit our website at http://www.tirnanogforestschool.com to review our practises, programs and policies.

Required qualifications:
• Early Childhood Education diploma, or Bachelor of Education degree (elementary)
• Current First Aid with CPR-C (or able to complete prior to start date)
• Clear criminal record check, vulnerable sector check and social development check
• Experience working with young children and experience working in an outdoor setting
• Physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances and over uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies
• Interest in the Waldorf, Reggio Emilia, or Waldkindergarten approaches to early childhood education, and an appreciation for emergent learning philosophies
• Understanding of the benefits of risk taking, movement, and physical development in the early years
• Familiarity with the local flora and fauna, to include poisonous plants and their location, or be willing to seek outside training or self-study
• Interest in learning about and improving upon your outdoor skills including knots, shelter building, self-care/appropropriate clothing, leave-no-trace practices and interacting with local wildlife

Description/Responsibilities:
• Researching, planning and implement a dynamic Forest School program
• Ensure the safety of all children including, but not limited to, forest play, hiking, climbing trees or while in close proximity to such things as standing water, streams and other terrain
• Daily preparation of learning areas and materials
• Responsible for the maintenance of program tools and equipment
• Working closely with co-teacher to plan, prepare, and co-create seasonal activities and projects utilizing natural materials, locally foraged or sourced
• Implement mentorship strategies that are individually focused and age appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect
• Willingness to attend staff trainings, educator meetings, parent meetings and Forest School related events
• Communicate with parents effectively, in person, by phone, or e-mail regarding the program and the progress of their child or children

To apply, please e-mail cover letter and resume to:
saintjohn at tirnanogforestschool.com

We thank all applicants for their interest however only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.

https://GoodWork.ca/913924

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About Forest Schools & Nature Schools
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22forest+school%22
http://www.ourkids.net/school/forest-schools

Outdoor education
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22outdoor+education%22
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Outdoor_education
Environmental education
https://www.google.ca/search?q=environmental+education

Organizations & Resources
* Take Me Outside http://takemeoutside.ca/
* Child and Nature Alliance http://www.childnature.ca
* Nature Child Reunion http://naturechildreunion.ca

* Nature Deficit Disorder - "a range of current child health issues arising from a lifestyle
that focuses on screen time rather than outdoor exploration"
About: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_deficit_disorder
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22nature+deficit+disorder%22
News: http://news.google.com/news?q=%22nature+deficit+disorder%22

* Green & Eco-friendly Kid's Books
http://www.eeweek.org/resources/green_reading.htm

* Last Child in the Woods
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Last+Child+in+the+Woods%22
Richard Louv  http://richardlouv.com/
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Richard+Louv%22

* Outdoor & Environmental Education - orgs, schools, links, resources
Outdoor Education: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outdoor_education
Environ Ed.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_education
Orgs., schools & links: http://www.planetfriendly.net/learn.html#ee
http://directory.google.com/Top/Recreation/Outdoors/Schools_and_Education/
Council of Outdoor Educators of Ontario (COEO) http://www.coeo.org/

* Nature-based homeschooling
https://www.google.ca/search?q=nature+based+homeschooling

* Environmental Psychology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Environmental_psychology

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=42931

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca