[sust-mar] yurt building workshops

Alex & Selene Cole info at lfy.ca
Tue Oct 31 10:09:02 EDT 2017

Hello Peter

Here's are the details for our upcoming November & April yurt building
workshops.

Thanks

Selene

Collection, Coppice & Construction: A Three Part Yurt Building Workshop

Our three part yurt building workshops occur every November & April and are
geared towards folks who want to actively make a yurt over the winter
months and complete a yurt frame in the spring.

If you are serious about building a yurt within one year please register
for the November and April workshops.

*1. Collecting Yurt Materials - Day Workshop *

In this workshop we will discuss the yurt's history and strengths. We will
erect a yurt and take a woodland walk to learn about the best wood for yurt
construction. We will build a green wood working break, shave poles and
learn about tool sharpening. You will leave with the skills and knowledge
to collect, carve and store your poles in readiness for construction. You
will also leave with the number and approximate lengths for your custom
yurt.

Dates: Saturday November 18th, 2017 9am-6pm. Arrival on Friday November
17th after 7pm is recommended if you are traveling from far.

Where: 6325 Hwy 201, Paradise, NS

Directions: Take exit 19 and follow the signs to Lawrencetown, Paradise.
Take the right turn by the convenience store across the river then turn
right onto the 201 towards Paradise. Go past the cranberry farm about 3 kms
further and it will be on the right.

Cost: $100 plus tax ($115.00) Lunch and snacks are provided

Bring: Work gloves, spare socks, warm waterproof clothing and boots.

Deposit: A non-refundable deposit of $50 is required to reserve your spot.
The deposit is due five days after you have completed the registration.

*2. Coppice Woodland & Charcoal Making – Evening & Following Day *

We will gather together, potluck style and then head into the woods to load
and lite a charcoal retort kiln which will burn through out the night. On
Sunday we will clear the coppice woodland using hand tools and prepare the
freshly cut stumps to regrow, providing yurt poles for the future. This
sustainable forest technique is over 3000 years old and can provide a
constant supply of raw materials when cut on a cycle. Little Foot Yurts has
been harvesting poles at this site for eight years and with the help of
volunteers, preparing the healthy regrowth of red Maple coppice.

Dates: Saturday November 18th, 2017 starting at 7pm & Sunday November 19
from 9am-6pm (Yurt accomidation is availible at no charge, please bring
sleeping bag, pillow & roll matt.)

Where: 6325 Hwy 201, Paradise, NS

Directions: Take exit 19 and follow the signs to Lawrencetown, Paradise.
Take the right turn by the convenience store across the river then turn
right onto the 201 towards Paradise. Go past the cranberry farm about 3 kms
further and it will be on the right.

Cost: Free

Bring: Please bring a potluck item for the evening and a snack to share for
the next day. We will provide breakfast and a BBQ lunch! Please bring a
flashlight, sleeping bag, matt and pillow if you can spending the night.

*3. Yurt Frame Construction Workshop – 2.5 Day Workshop*

Our two and a half day workshops will provide a thorough introduction to
yurts including: coppice as a timber crop, Acadian forest species, making a
greenwood working station, using a drawknife, froe and other hand tools,
planning and designing your walls, roof, and wheel, and erecting a yurt.
Part of our workshops consists of practical issues unique to yurt living,
such as heating and insulation. Open to all skill levels and families
welcome.  View our detailed outline.

Children 6 and under are free, children between 7-13 are half price, and 14
and up are normal price. We recommend those people coming with children to
have two adults present so you can both get an opportunity to be involved
in all activities and discussions.

Dates: Friday April 20th-Sunday April 22, 2018

Where: 1459 White Rock Rd, Wolfville, Nova Scotia

Cost: $360 plus tax, includes cozy yurt camping, gourmet local vegetarian
food, and a yurt zine.

Accommodation: Sleep, eat, learn and share with others in comfortable yurts
equipped with a log burner. Compost toilets and a warm yurt kitchen is
available for dining.

Deposit: A non-refundable deposit of $160 is required to reserve your spot.
The deposit is due five days after you have completed the registration.

--
Selene & Alex Cole
Little Foot Yurts Inc.
info at lfy.ca