[sust-mar] Summer jobs: Organic family farm assistants, near Tatamagouche & Truro NS

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Mon Apr 2 15:08:40 EDT 2018

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

SUMMER STUDENT JOB
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/945944

Sweet Earth Farm is hiring!

Positions: Farm Assistant (2 positions)
Type: 16 week summer job beginning end of April/early May and ending mid to late August 2018.
Employer: Sweet Earth Farm
Location: West Earltown, near Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

We are a small family owned farm with a 10-acre organic & biological haskap orchard and mixed pastured livestock in West Earltown, NS (1/2 hour north of Truro). As much as practical, we implement regenerative agriculture methods, including rotational grazing, living mulch, no-till, etc.

Our business is expanding and we need to hire two full-time seasonal employees to work with us in our orchard and to assist from time to time with livestock management. We are looking for two individuals who love working outside and are interested in organic and regenerative agriculture practices. Preference will be given to students.

Job Position: Farming Assistant

Hours: Exact hours and days will depend upon weather but will generally be Mon-Fri, 0830 to 1700, with ½ hour unpaid lunch. Additional hours may be required during busy times (i.e. harvest) but average hrs/week will be 35 to 40, beginning end of April/beginning of May and ending mid to end of August 2018.

Rate of pay: $11.00/hr with $1/hr bonus after successful completion of 16 wks.

Job Description:
• Transplanting seedlings/shrubs from nursery to orchard.
• Installing birdnetting, deer fencing and fence posts.
• Weeding, pruning, irrigating and mowing orchard.
• Applying compost tea, foliar sprays and organic amendments.
• Harvesting haskap berries and making observations about overall plant health and vigor.
• Occasional assistance with livestock management, including (but not limited to) moving chicken tractors, moving temporary electric fencing and crating chickens prior to processing.

You must be content to work outside for all of each day, regardless of weather conditions (except during intense rain events), and must be reasonably fit as you will be required to move for much of the day, including squatting, reaching, bending, kneeling, lifting, etc. You must be a team player, but also content to work alone, depending upon the task. Training will be provided, as needed.

We will provide any tools required, you are expected to provide your own gloves, hat, bug (head) net, sunscreen, etc.

This position would be perfect for someone who may be interested in operating their own organic farm and/or someone who is interested in organic, biological and regenerative farming practices. No smokers please.

If you are interested in this position, please email a cover email/letter and resume to:
sweetearthfarm at live.ca
subject: “job application”.

Thank you for your interest!

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/945944

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/job=44954

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms