[sust-mar] Organic farm crew leader (English & Spanish-speaking), f/t, near Amherst, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Tue May 1 08:24:13 EDT 2018

* Work in healthy, local & organic food - FoodWork.ca *

ORGANIC FARMING WORK
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/952454

Position: Crew Leader
Type: full-time seasonal position
Location: Point de Bute, New Brunswick / near Amherst, Nova Scotia

Full Time, May – November 2018

Language requirement: English & Spanish speaking

Vision

To grow organic vegetables that make people want to eat them while inspiring hope for our health, our environment and our community.

Nature’s Route Farm

We grow a wide variety of great tasting vegetables on our beautiful farm overlooking the New Brunswick / Nova Scotia border. Our vegetables are grown ethically, sustainably, and responsibly. We are CERTIFIED ORGANIC! We foster a sense of belonging and teamwork that makes the hard work satisfying. Nature’s Route Farm is looking for highly motivated people who enjoy working outside, enjoy working with a dynamic team and strive to constantly improve every aspect of what we do. We do a lot, so every little improvement is significant.

Key Work Habits and Attributes

We need somebody who thrives in a highly productive environment, who can bring the best out of other people and the team as a whole. We make a lot of stuff happen!!!
• Punctuality. You are expected to be ready to work at the designated time every day.
• People Skills. To work collaboratively, fostering a contagious positive environment.
• Safety. To identify and adopt safe work habits and to ensure the crew works safely.
• Communication. To understand verbal and written instructions and convey them to others. To provide feedback constructively.
• Customer Orientation. The ability to see things through the eyes of the customer.
• Math. Strong numeracy is required to meet production targets.
• Resilient. Must work productively in hot, cold and wet environments while motivating the farm team to do the same.
• Fit. You must maintain a level of physical and mental fitness that enables you to work 35-40 hours per week including lifting and extended periods working on the ground.
• Professional. There will be zero tolerance of any type harassment. Our work environment is based on respect, dignity and kindness. Failure to respect these values will result in your dismissal.
• Experience. We hire for attitude. Two years of supervising experience is desirable.
• Language. Our working language is English; however, foreign workers may speak Spanish. Spanish will be essential to building a cohesive team from different cultures.

Main Tasks
• To be the primary supervisor for approximately four people (THE CREW).
• To manage the day to day work of the crew; track tasks and job progress.
• To organize the day to day tasks and ensure the crew manages its time well. You and your team will have to meet production deadlines, minimize wasted time and ensure breaks and lunch hours fit into the work week in the most efficient way possible.
• To collaborate and share some tasks with the Greenhouse Manager and to mentor the crew members when they work under the direction of the Greenhouse Manager.

Other Tasks
• To safely operate farm equipment including a farm tractor, forklift, trucks and trailers*.
• Along with Kent and the Farm Manager, to train the crew and provide day to day feedback that promotes productive and safe practices.
• Operate irrigation systems alongside the greenhouse manager.
• To work at markets and CSA pick-ups when required (typically as an alternate).
• You will be responsible to ensure the work spaces stay clean, tidy and organized.
• Work may include farm beautification such as clean-up, fencing, etc.
• Other assigned tasks directly related to Nature’s Route Farm.

*Before operating equipment or vehicles you must receive training and authorization from Kent.

Schedule

You are expected to work a 40 hour work week. During summer months the work week is from 7am-4pm Tuesday to Saturday. The work week can change due to weather conditions and farm needs and changes to 8am - 5pm during the fall to accommodate daylight and school schedules.

Organic

Nature’s Route Farm is organic. Anything that goes on/in the soil and contacts food must meet organic certification requirements. This includes fertilizer, seeds, soil amendments, equipment cleaning supplies and so much more. If you are unsure of something, ASK.

Benefits
• Pay. Start at $15 per hour; there is potential for the right person to earn more.
• End of Season Bonus: Up to $500 non-taxable gift depending on personal performance and the farm’s success.
• Benefits. All benefits are in accordance with provincial standards including workers compensation, employment insurance, CPP, vacation

• Professional Development. In addition to hands on training, professional development opportunities are encouraged and negotiated on a case by case basis.
• Veggies. Access to farm vegetables.
• Time Off. You will usually have two day weekends and may request time off throughout the season. It is not expected that you miss more than one week during the first season.

Check Us Out!

For a complete list of opportunities on our farm check us out at:
https://naturesroutefarm.wordpress.com/contact-us/employment/
or https://naturesroutefarm.ca

Applications

If you think you would be a great fit for our farm and this position please send your resumé along with a short description of why you think this job is perfect for you to:
coates at naturesroutefarm.ca

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/952454

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/job=45425

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms