[sust-mar] Sustainable Seafood Coordinator, full-time, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed May 30 16:18:28 EDT 2018

* Work in nature, conservation & environment - GoodWork.ca *

JOB POSTING
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/960954

Ecology Action Centre – Full-time Job Posting

Position: Sustainable Seafood Coordinator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

ORGANIZATION

The Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is an environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. We take leadership on critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. We are grounded in community and are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment. We work to catalyze change through policy advocacy, community development, and building awareness. We take a holistic approach to the environment and our economy to create a just and sustainable society.

The Ecology Action Centre’s marine team works locally, nationally and internationally towards protecting the marine ecosystem and maintaining sustainable fisheries, which support vibrant coastal communities.

POSITION

The EAC is the east coast partner in SeaChoice, a partnership of Canadian marine conservation organizations that engages in markets based programming to impact positive change on sustainable seafood procurement and supply. We work with retailers and companies throughout the supply chain, as well as directly with fisheries, to increase sustainability commitments, transparency, and traceability. We work to improve regulatory processes as well as eco-certification systems to ensure the sustainability of seafood available in Canada.

We are seeking an experienced and enthusiastic Sustainable Seafood Coordinator to lead the EAC’s SeaChoice work and collaborate with our partner organizations in order to achieve our campaign and policy goals. The ideal candidate will have solid understanding of the sustainable seafood landscape, strong knowledge of Atlantic fisheries and seafood supply chains, and comfort with related advocacy and policy work.

The Coordinator will report to EAC’s staff directors. They will take direction from the SeaChoice Steering Committee and work closely with all members of the SeaChoice team across Canada.

Specific Responsibilities:
• Lead the achievement of EAC’s SeaChoice deliverables and work collaboratively to support all SeaChoice program work.
• Ensure EAC’s marine conservation and fisheries campaigns are connected and aligned with SeaChoice.
• Develop and maintain relationships with partners, including seafood retailers, food service providers, suppliers, restaurants and fishers across Canada, especially in the Atlantic region.
• Take a lead role on Canadian seafood labelling, traceability, and trade policy reform campaign work.
• Participate actively in the Conservation Alliance for Seafood Solutions’ priorities and initiatives.
• Coordinate and work with colleagues on submissions to eco-certifications and ranking assessments of Canadian fisheries and aquaculture farms.
• Work with other sustainable seafood programs and organizations in Canada on collaborative initiatives.
• Be responsible for SeaChoice’s social media presence - Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
• Support strategic communications, including outreach products, relationships, media and website based communications.
• Participate in outreach and education initiatives and events as required.
• Supervise interns and volunteers.
• Support the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre.
• Other duties as required.

REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• A degree in environmental science, environmental studies, fisheries policy, fisheries economics, business, or a related field.
• Experience working in an ENGO environment, preferably on fisheries and aquaculture issues.
• Understanding of market based approaches to environmental sustainability.
• Knowledge of fisheries issues and seafood policy in Canada.
• Knowledge of environmental certification (MSC, FSC, ASC, etc.) and traceability systems.
• Ability to advocate, build relationships and collaborate across a wide range of projects.
• Ability to synthesize and distill large amounts of detailed information over a broad range of science and social science research as well as marine species.
• Willingness to travel as necessary.
• Proficient with MS Office Suite: Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, Excel.
• Proficient with social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, self-directed and a team player.

DESIRABLE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Graduate degree in a relevant field
• Experience in any of the following: outreach, education and communications, coordinating events and groups, marketing and/or business development, purchasing or management for a large food service operation or large grocery retailer.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT

Full-time (37.5 hours per week) at between $23.00 and $25.50/hour for an indefinite term; 4 weeks of paid vacation and a cost-shared benefits plan.

Interviews will take place between June 14-19 and the successful candidate will ideally start soon after.

Hours: Monday to Friday – flexible hours. Some evening and weekend work will be required, as will some travel.

Location: This position will be based at EAC’s office, 2705 Fern Lane, Halifax.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter and resume, including two references, as a single PDF document with document labelled “LastName_FirstName_SustainableSeafoodCoordinator” to Evelien Vanderkloet at evanderkloet at ecologyaction.ca . No phone calls please.

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

Application Deadline: 4 pm on Wednesday, June 13, 2018

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as: racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity. The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s most active environmental organizations. The Centre welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca.

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/960954

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/job=45906

--
GoodWork Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature, sustainability, local food...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca