[sust-mar] Documentary Film Screening in Lunenburg: Sonic Sea

Marion Moore marionm12 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:37:12 EST 2018

*Campaign to Protect Offshore N.S. presents a free screening SONIC SEA*

*7 pm Tuesday, November 27, 2018*

*Central United Church Hall, Lunenburg*

*(across from the Opera House)*

Sonic Sea is a 60-minute documentary about the devastating impact of
industrial and military ocean noise on whales and other marine life. The
film begins with a mystery: the unexplained stranding and mass mortality of
several species of whales in the Bahamas in March 2000. As the mystery
unfolds, the film explores the critical role of sound in the sea, and the
sudden, dramatic changes human activity is inflicting on the ocean's
delicate acoustic habitat -- changes that threaten the ability of whales
and other marine animals to prosper, to function, and ultimately, to
survive. Sonic Sea features several charismatic scientists, including Ken
Balcomb, the former Navy pilot and acoustics expert who proved to the world
that naval sonar is killing whales, as well as the musician and
environmental activist, Sting, whose moving interview connects the sonic
world of marine life with our sonic world on land. The film offers
solutions (and, by extension, hope) for a quieter ocean, and underscores
that the ocean's destiny is inextricably bound with our own

Equinor (formerly Statoil) is poised to start seismic testing in offshore
NS waters, spring (2019)

*We can make a difference, compelling industry and the government to chart
a more responsible course to protect our marine environment — if we rise up
together and demand change.*