[sust-mar] Human Resources Manager, EAC, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Apr 2 15:29:25 EDT 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

HALIFAX JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/992825

Position: Human Resources Manager
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hours: Part-Time, 20 hours/week

ORGANIZATION

The Ecology Action Centre is an environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. We take leadership on critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. We are grounded in community, and are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment. We work to catalyze change through policy advocacy, community development, and building awareness. We take a holistic approach to the environment and our economy to create a just and sustainable society.

The Ecology Action Centre is a busy, vibrant organization that was started in 1971. We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes strong values, collaboration, quality work, and real impact. We value our members, volunteers, staff, and partners.

POSITION

Reporting to the Managing Director, the Human Resources Manager plays a key role in the organization, focusing on the recruitment, direction, and guidance of 40+ EAC staff.

This position oversees the recruiting, interviewing, hiring, and on-boarding of new staff, maintains a professional development plan for current staff, monitors the performance evaluation system, and assists in the planning and execution of HR programs, procedures, and guidelines. The Human Resources Manager provides timely, ongoing HR support to all staff, including serving as a link between leadership and staff on HR matters. There are no direct reports to the Human Resources Manager.

This is a new position within our organization and the ideal candidate will have the ability to make it their own by providing EAC with leadership, vision, and direction on HR matters, integrating best practices into the organization.

Applicants from African Nova Scotian communities, Mi’kmaw communities, and other communities of colour are encouraged to apply.

CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
• Communication – Effective listener & clear communicator with excellent written and verbal skills.
• Conflict Management – Ability to assess, address, and resolve conflict situations as they arise.
• Critical Thinking – Ability to balance complex situations through reflection and process design.
• Culture – Fosters an organizational culture of honesty, transparency, trust, and accountability.
• Ethical Approach – Unwavering, unilateral commitment to ethics in all facets of HR work.
• Human Resources Knowledge – Industry expert on talent acquisition, development, and retention.
• Learning – Committed to ongoing HR learning, reflection, and application of relevant trends.
• Organizational Skills–Detail-oriented, balancing established HR routines and emerging HR issues.
• Problem Solving – Generates and evaluates alternative solutions to reach timely/effective decisions.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Leadership/Management
• Ensure and maintain strength and efficiency of the organization re staff complement & capacity.
• Provide leadership support to staff and volunteers related to all aspects of HR management.
• Support a strong organizational culture related to learning, collaboration, and positivity.
• Research, design, and oversee diversity and inclusion initiatives related to all aspects of HR.

Recruitment, Direction, & Guidance
• Oversee all aspects of hiring, retention, discipline, orientation, and termination of employment.
• Draft employee contracts, offers of employment, termination letters and other HR documents.
• Update and monitor performance evaluation process and assist with evaluations if required.
• Assess, analyze, and manage conflicts to resolution in a timely and just manner, as required.
• Manage EAC’s benefits program (includes education and administration).
• Oversee professional development opportunities and planning for all staff.

Policies & Procedures
• Monitor best HR practices in the industry and implement these at EAC whenever possible to ensure a productive, effective work environment.
• Monitor changes to employment laws to ensure legal compliance.
• Monitor compliance with the organization's HR policy; develop and update policies as required.

REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• All core competencies listed above are critical requirements for this position.
• 3+ years progressive experience as an HR Generalist.
• 2+ years progressive experience as an HR Manager.
• University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, or equivalent experience.
• Supervisor/management experience, including coaching, mentoring, and staff development.
• Experience building strong relationships with diverse communities.
• Experience implementing and monitoring diversity and inclusion initiatives in an organization.
• Strong knowledge of employment legislation across Canada and HR Best Practices.
• Strong background in interviewing, selecting, and recruiting applicants for employment.
• Strong knowledge of MS Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.

DESIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• CHRP/L Certification.
• Experience working in a non-profit organization, First Nation Band, or co-op.
• Familiarity with social media & other innovative tools and methods in support of recruiting efforts.
• Experience supporting and advising senior leadership.
• Commitment to environmental and social justice.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• Start: late May or early June 2019
• 20 hours per week at $23.50-25.00 hr, working either 1/2 days every day or full days every second day.
• Cost-shared benefits plan and 4 weeks paid vacation per year, pro-rated.
• This is an on-site position at our Halifax office, which is located at 2705 Fern Lane in our renovated, energy-efficient green office building.
• The first floor of our building is designed to be universally accessible. We have a ramp at the front entrance with automatic door openers, a permanent ramp to the back door, a stair lift in the foyer between the split levels, and an accessible gender-neutral washroom. There is a good turning radius for wheelchairs on most of the first floor, including our primary meeting room and several work spaces.
• Our staff work in shared offices, with a moderate noise level, and good natural light.
• This job involves extended viewing of a computer monitor.
• Must have some flexibility in schedule should urgent situations within the organization arise.

TO APPLY

Please email a cover letter, resume, and three references to Marla MacLeod, Managing Director at employment at ecologyaction.ca . Please use the subject heading "HR Manager Position".

Please submit your application in the form of a pdf document with required elements in the following

order: cover letter, resume, references.

APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.

We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Interviews will begin the week of April 29, 2019.

The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s largest environmental organizations. The Centre always welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/992825

Please indicate that you saw this posting at EcoProperty.ca

Please share: http://EcoProperty.ca/992825

EcoProperty Canada http://EcoProperty.ca
Facebook http://facebook.com/ecopropertycanada
Twitter https://twitter.com/EcoPropertyCan

Subscribe http://EcoProperty.ca/subscribe

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "EcoProperty Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to purchase a property or make any other transaction, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: EcoProperty.ca/terms

--
EcoProperty Canada
Green, ecological & organic real estate in Canada

.