[sust-mar] Resource Centre Coordinator, f/t, NSPIRG, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Aug 6 13:52:48 EDT 2019

* Work in social & environmental sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

HALIFAX JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/998345

NSPIRG Is Hiring!

Position: Engagement and Resource Centre Coordinator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Type: one-year contract with healt benefits, 33 hours per week

The Nova Scotia Public Interest Research Group (NSPIRG), is now accepting applications for:

Engagement and Resource Centre Coordinator

APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, August 16th, 5PM.

START DATE: Early September (flexible start date)

ABOUT THE NOVA SCOTIA PUBLIC INTEREST RESEARCH GROUP

NSPIRG is a resource centre based around social and environmental justice. NSPIRG is a student society at Dalhousie University and King's College. Our mandate is to link research to action and campus to community, within an anti-oppressive, anti-racist framework. We engage in campaigns, public education, research and projects, and provide resources to the campus and community.

JOB DESCRIPTION: ENGAGEMENT AND RESOURCE CENTRE COORDINATOR

Our two Core Staff are responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing much of the work of the organization. In addition to general administration duties, this position is responsible for managing NSPIRGs engagement with campus, volunteers and community, through administering campaigns, trainings, promotion, etc.

The following are the responsibilities of the Engagement and Resource Centre Coordinator:
• Expand NSPIRGs volunteer base and coordinate opportunities for volunteer engagement
• Send out bi-weekly community newsletter and mailing list announcements
• Publicize the work of NSPIRG through making and distributing posters, leaflets, flyers, etc
• Manage and update website and social media
• Outreach to the student body at Dalhousie University and King's College
• Foster positive relationships with community groups, campaigns, and organizations
• Manage coordination between programming staff and volunteers
• Annual renewal of Joint Stocks membership and writing the annual report

The following responsibilities are common and shared between the Engagement and Resource Centre Coordinator and the Finance and Resource Centre Coordinator:
• Ensure activities of NSPIRG are consistent with anti-oppression and anti-racist mandate
• Maintain regular office hours, general office management, and a welcoming office space
• Coordinate and supervise student campaigns, core projects, workshops, trainings, etc
• Core projects and campaigns include Project (RE)Construct, Margins Journal, Research Projects, Alternative Resource Library and Project Flamingo
• Provide supervision of staff, student and volunteer positions as needed
• Serve as the main support person for half of NSPIRG's working groups
• Attend and report at Board of Directors meetings
• Monitor and respond to email, phone and in person correspondence
• Assist the Board in the coordination of board strategic planning, general meetings, board recruitment, opt-out periods and hiring processes

JOB REQUIREMENTS

The following are required for this position:
• a demonstrated understanding of the principles and practice of anti-oppression, intersectionality, and how this related to coordinating a justice-based resource centre
• experience with volunteer coordination and engagement
• demonstrated experience planning and facilitating workshops and/or campaigns
• comfort engaging with university students
• experience with grant or proposal writing
• strong written and verbal communication skills
• comfort making posters, leaflets, and flyers, updating social media, and updating websites
• general computer knowledge for maintaining notes, responding to emails and writing reports

The following would be considered assets, but are not requirements:
• a demonstrated understanding of consensus based decision-making
• involvement in organizing around issues of social and environmental justice, non-profits and/or grassroots community-led initiatives
• familiarity with Halifax community and student organizations, and the university environment
• experience in running issue-based and goal-driven campaigns
• demonstrated experience with event-planning and promotion
• knowledge of non-profit organization administration
• experience producing project reports, maintaining notes and reporting to other stakeholders/members

WAGE & HOURS

This position pays $18 per hour, 33 hours per week with health benefits. Regular daytime office hours and flexible evening and weekends required. Contract is for one year, with the opportunity for renewal.

TO APPLY

Please submit a resume that outlines your relevant skills and experience, and a cover letter describing your interest in the position. Please name files using “Last name_Engagement” format.

Email: hiring at nspirg.ca

As an organization that aims to operate within a trauma informed, anti-oppressive, anti-racist framework, NSPIRG recognizes and values the lived experiences of people who experience systemic oppression, marginalization and discrimination. We acknowledge that formal education is privileged in our society, however, it is only one of many valid ways of learning and knowing. In acknowledgement of this, NSPIRG strives to place value on relationship building and community outreach skills, rather than focus solely on formal education. NSPIRG welcomes and prioritizes the contributions, perspectives, and lived experiences that individuals from marginalized communities/groups bring to our organization’s work.

NSPIRG operates as a student society of Dalhousie and King’s – it is therefore tied to academic structures and language. We understand this is not accessible knowledge to everyone, and wish to make the terms used in this job description available to all. You can find a physical copy of our Language Accessibility Statement on our office door (room 24 of the Dal SUB basement) or view the online form on our website or facebook:

http://www.nspirg.ca or http://www.facebook.com/nspirg

Our hiring policy is available at http://www.nspirg.ca/about-us/governing-documents/

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/998345

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/998345

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca