[sust-mar] Sustainable Fisheries Campaigner, full-time, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Aug 14 17:42:08 EDT 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

HALIFAX JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/979445

Position: Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture Campaigner
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Ecology Action Centre is a dynamic and vibrant environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. Since 1971, we have proudly served in a leadership role, tackling critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. Grounded in community, we are a strong voice and watchdog for our environment, taking a holistic approach to the environment, our economy, and the creation of a just and sustainable society.

We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes strong values, collaboration, quality work, and real impact. We value our members, volunteers, staff, and partners. We have a team of incredible people who share ideas, friendships, and a contagious level of inspiration and determination to make the world a better place.

The Ecology Action Centre’s Marine team works locally, nationally and internationally towards protecting the marine ecosystem and maintaining sustainable fisheries, which support vibrant coastal communities.

ABOUT YOU

You are an enthusiastic campaigner with specific interest in and knowledge of sustainable fishing and aquaculture, along with marine issues more broadly. With your community fisheries background you know what fishing means in Atlantic Canada and internationally, and are looking for a dynamic and challenging opportunity to make change in the world’s oceans. You are passionate about our campaign areas - equitable access to marine resources, bycatch reduction, recovery of depleted species, ecosystem-based management, climate change impacts on fishing communities and ecosystems.

POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
• Create and deliver, with colleagues, campaigns on our core marine issues focused on improving fisheries and aquaculture management
• Develop EAC positions on fisheries and aquaculture management decisions and represent EAC at advisory, science, and roundtable meetings
• Build relationships of trust across diverse NGOs, with Indigenous and non-indigenous fishers, community groups, and governments
• Participate in and organize community meetings, outreach, and workshops to build understanding of local issues and partnership/support opportunities
• Coordinate meetings and logistics for an international coalition of which EAC is on the steering committee
• Undertake project related tasks as needed such as report editing, research and data collection, and outreach material creation;
• Supervise research projects on fisheries and aquaculture as needed;
• Manage shared campaign files and supporting campaigns on social media;
• Work with EAC’s communications team on communication products and strategy,
• Work with and support interns and volunteer teams

DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Experience working in an advocacy or ENGO environment, preferably on fisheries and aquaculture issues
• Expertise in environmental/social impact campaigning with knowledge of cultural, political and social economic issues related to oceans,
• Working knowledge of Atlantic Canadian fishing and aquaculture industries and their governance, including treaty and Indigenous fisheries
• Experience coordinating coalitions, networks, or multi-organization campaigns
• Ability to synthesize and distill large amounts of detailed information over a broad range of research related to fisheries and marine conservation
• A degree or equivalent experience-based learning in the fields of sustainability, conservation, fisheries or marine policy, or fisheries/aquaculture science
• Comfort and experience working with a wide range of people from different communities, government, and organizations
• Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail, self-directed and a team player
• Strong strategic planning and project management skills to enable the delivery of projects on time and to financial budget, and to deliver clear objectives;
• Proficient with MS Office Suite and social media platforms
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:

37.5 hours/week at an annual salary range of $44, 000 - $52, 000 CAD commensurate with experience, including competitive benefit package and 4 weeks paid vacation

One year contract with possibility of extension, funding dependent

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia in EAC’s newly renovated, highly energy efficient office.

TO APPLY:

Please email your cover letter and CV in one pdf file to Nancy Julien, Human Resources Manager at employment at ecologyaction.ca with Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture Campaigner and your full name in the subject line. Date: August 19, 2019. We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of a marginalized community. Diversity is a stated value of the Ecology Action Centre. Moreover, diversity in the EAC community is a strength that we seek to cultivate. It is the responsibility of every employee of EAC to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.

The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one of Nova Scotia’s largest environmental organizations. The Centre always welcomes new members and volunteers: http://www.ecologyaction.ca

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/979445

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/979445

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca