[sust-mar] Fisheries Analyst, full-time, Oceana Canada, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Dec 9 13:05:41 EST 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

HALIFAX JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/912355

Position: Fisheries Analyst
Reports to: Science Director
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Expected Start date: February 3, 2020

Oceana Canada was established as an independent charity in 2015 and is part of the largest international advocacy group dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Canada has the longest coastline in the world, with an ocean surface area of 7.1 million square kilometres, or 70 per cent of its landmass. Oceana Canada believes that Canada has a national and global obligation to manage our natural resources responsibly and help ensure a sustainable source of protein for the world’s growing population.

Oceana Canada works with civil society, academics, fishers, Indigenous Peoples and the federal government to return Canada’s formerly vibrant oceans to health and abundance. By restoring Canada’s oceans, we can strengthen our communities, reap greater economic and nutritional benefits, and protect our future.

The Fisheries Analyst will provide research and analytical support for our Rebuilding Fisheries, Protect Ocean Habitat and North Atlantic Right Whales campaigns.

Principal duties and responsibilities
• Synthesize information through literature searches, government reports, management plans and other sources that will be used to update our annual Fishery Audit report.
• Provide GIS spatial analysis and map production in support of our campaigns.
• Provide additional research support for campaign objectives as required.
• Participate in external fisheries science and management meetings.
• Keep up to date on best practices, scientific methodologies and innovations concerning the conservation and sustainable management of marine fisheries.

Requirements
• Graduate degree in a relevant Science discipline with work experience in fisheries science, conservation or marine biology.
• Knowledge of Canadian fisheries science and management.
• Excellent writing, editing, communication and research skills.
• Ability to interpret, build and analyze large datasets.
• Organized working style with attention to detail.
• Proficiency in ArcGIS.
• Maintain strict confidentiality in working with sensitive information, and possess excellent judgment in handling communications, expenses, personal relationships and representing Oceana Canada in a professional manner.
• Fluency in French will be considered an asset.
• The successful candidate must be available for full-time work in Canada.

Oceana Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits package.

Oceana Canada is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with Nova Scotia Accessibility Act, support will be provided in the recruitment process and accommodations for disabilities will be provided on request wherever appropriate. All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a criminal background check.

While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.

TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter in one file, including your salary expectations, to hr at oceana.ca by 3:00 pm on January 9, 2020 for the best consideration. Please use the following file naming convention: LastName_FirstName_Fisheries_Analyst.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/912355

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/912355

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca