[sust-mar] Assistant Farm Manager, full-time, accom., Sweet Earth Farm, near Truro, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Thu May 9 21:10:25 EDT 2019

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

ORGANIC & REGENERATIVE AGRICULTURE
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
http://FoodWork.ca/GrowFood

Full-time position for Assistant Farm Manager on diverse regenerative farm — starting immediately

Position: Assistant Farm Manager
Type: paid f/t plus housing (see below)
Eligibilility: Nova Scotia residents only (see below)

Farm: Sweet Earth Farm
Location: Earltown, near Truro, Nova Scotia (housing available)
Housing: optional cabin, meals (see below)

If you are hardworking, enjoy being outdoors, have an interest in learning how to run a farm business and are interested in organic and regenerative agriculture – we invite you to join our team!

Sweet Earth Farm is a small family-owned farm with a 10-acre organic haskap orchard, mixed pastured livestock (200 layers, hundreds of meat birds, 4 breeding sows and a small herd of beef and dairy cows) and young Christmas tree lot in West Earltown, NS (1/2 hour north of Truro). As much as practical, we implement regenerative agriculture methods, including rotational grazing, living mulch, no-till, etc. The farm comprises about 60 acres of pasture and 130 acres of woodlot, with trails, brooks/river and beautiful scenery.

We are hiring a full-time employee to work with us in our orchard, kitchen garden and Christmas tree lot and to assist with livestock management and farm administrative tasks. Preference will be given to those with farming experience. Applicants must be Nova Scotia residents, currently unemployed or underemployed (working 20 hours or less per week) and must qualify for the START program. For more information please visit: https://novascotia.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/start.asp

Job Description
• Working in the orchard, completing tasks such as transplanting, spraying organic soil and foliar amendments, weeding, pruning, mowing, installing birdnetting and harvesting berries.
• Assisting with livestock care and management, including moving chicken tractors, moving temporary electric fencing and crating chickens prior to processing.
• Building permanent fencing, outbuildings and other construction projects.
• Working at a local farmers’ market up to one afternoon per week.
• Working in Christmas tree lot, including clearing, pruning and planting fir trees.
• Making observations about plant and animal health and vigor.

Qualifications

Applicants must be:
• Content to work outside for all of each day during the growing season, regardless of weather conditions.
• Physically fit, as you will be required to move for much of the day, including squatting, reaching, bending, kneeling, lifting, etc.
• Efficient and able to anticipate what needs to get done once you are familiar with our systems.
• Highly motivated and willing to work hard.
• A team player, but also content to work alone, depending upon the task.
• Interested in growing healthy, nutritious and delicious food using regenerative and organic farming methods.

No smokers please.

Compensation

$12/hr; 32 hrs/week, minimum.

Housing

If you are new to the area, we may be able to offer very reasonable housing and meals, depending on your needs. We have a small off-grid cabin on-farm which we can offer in exchange for modest rent and assistance with daily chores. You must be content to have a roommate and live simply with few amenities. Alternatively, candidate may secure housing off farm.

Time Commitments

Position is available immediately and will last at least until November 10, 2019. If there is mutual interest, position can extend through the winter with expanded duties to include administrative tasks, website development, marketing and (haskap) product development. Alternatively, if the candidate demonstrates a strong work ethic and the appropriate skillset, there will be opportunity for him/her to resume the position in May 2020.

Opportunities

This is the perfect opportunity for someone interested in farming full-time. After a successful 2019 growing season, land can be made available in 2020 for a market garden, additional livestock, woodlot management and/or fruit orchard so that employee can help generate a portion of their income using skills developed while working with us in 2019.

If you are interested in this position, please email a cover letter and resume to sweetearthfarm at live.ca , subject: “START job application”.

Thank you for your interest!

https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
http://FoodWork.ca/GrowFood

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/972435

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms