[sust-mar] Summer job: Assistant Educator, Wild Child, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu May 23 14:27:54 EDT 2019

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/SummerJobs
https://GoodWork.ca/921635

Position: Wild Child Assistant Educator
Type: summer job / age 30 & under
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

We are looking for some people who are magical with children to help deliver Wild Child Forest School Programming for the summer in the Kearney Lake area of Bedford for our 2019 Summer Season. Our ideal candidate would love being outside in all weathers, enjoy playing & supervising children, with an eye for safety and risk management.

About Sierra Club Canada Foundation

Sierra Club Canada Foundation empowers people to protect, restore and enjoy a healthy and safe planet. SCCF’s objective is to protect and restore the health of the natural environment, including communities, by empowering Sierra Club members and its citizens through education and action.

Sierra Club Canada Foundation is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.

Wild Child Forest School is a project of Sierra Club Canada Foundation that provides child-led, play-based learning through repeated exposure to nature. At forest school we empower children to take the lead on their learning in a natural setting over time, which may mean getting wet, dirty, making stuff with tools, and learn to extend their limits in a thoughtful and intentional way. Our program takes place entirely outside, so the ideal candidate would be comfortable in an outdoor setting for 8 hours a day.

To find out more about our programs visit wildchildatlantic.ca

Tasks and Responsibilities

As part of the staffing team, you will:
• Contribute to the development & delivery Wild Child Forest School programming with the Wild Child NS leaders.
• Lead songs, tell stories, inspire enthusiasm, share knowledge, and create a positive atmosphere for children in a natural setting
• Support the development of a child’s ability to navigate risks
• Mediate conflicts between participants maintaining dignity and respect for everyone involved
• Ensure proper protocols and Safe Work Practices are enacted
• Foster curiosity and excitement about nature
• Maintain session notes and contributions to social media platforms

Qualifications

This position is a Canada Summer Job position and candidates must:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and,
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.

The program’s broader objectives as part of the Youth Employment Strategy are to improve the labour market participation of Canadian youth.

*International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.

As an educator, we would like for you to have:
• Some post-secondary training in a relevant area (Early Childhood Education, Science (Ecology, Biology, etc.) , Psychology, Education, etc.) or sufficient qualifying experience
• Be an excellent communicator and team player with attention for details
• Have previous experience working with children
• Love nature and being outside in it (this include bugs, getting dirty, & playing in the rain)
• Have a positive fun attitude, yet professional approach

Applicants must also be prepared to provide a clean Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screen and a clear Child Abuse Registry Search.

Valid First Aid with AED/CPR-C or Wilderness First Aid would be considered an asset.

Valid Driver’s License and access to a reliable car would also be considered an asset.

Dates and Times of Work

This position will be 11 weeks in length with potential for part-time/casual work in the Fall. This position starts Monday, June 17th to Friday, August 30st,

Hours of work are Monday to Friday from 8:30am to 4:30 pm, with 2 holidays Mondays off during the summer.

Remuneration: $13/hr, roughly 40 hours/week for 11 weeks

Deadline: Midnight on Sunday, June 9th, If you think you are the ideal candidate, please apply early.

To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your education, experience, and interest as a single email attachment to Mike Boyle, Wild Child NS Coordinator at mikeb at sierraclub.ca. Please include “Wild Child NS Summer Student Application” in the subject line of the email.

https://GoodWork.ca/SummerJobs
https://GoodWork.ca/921635

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About Forest Schools & Nature Schools
https://www.google.ca/search?q=%22forest+school%22
http://www.ourkids.net/school/forest-schools

Forest school teacher training
http://childnature.ca/forest-school-canada/
http://forestschools.com/training-help/forest-schools-practitioner-training/
https://google.ca/search?q=Forest+School+Practitioner+Certificate
https://google.ca/search?q=forest+school+teacher+training

Organizations & Resources
* Take Me Outside http://takemeoutside.ca/
* Child and Nature Alliance http://www.childnature.ca
* Nature Child Reunion http://naturechildreunion.ca

* Outdoor & Environmental Education - orgs, schools, links, resources
Outdoor Education: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Outdoor_education
Enviro Ed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_education
https://google.ca/search?q=%22outdoor+education%22
https://google.ca/search?q=environmental+education
Council of Outdoor Educators of Ontario (COEO) http://www.coeo.org/
Orgs., schools & links: http://www.planetfriendly.net/learn.html#ee
http://curlie.org/Top/Recreation/Outdoors/Schools_and_Education/

* Green & Eco-friendly Kid's Books
http://www.eeweek.org/resources/green_reading.htm

* Last Child in the Woods
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Last+Child+in+the+Woods%22
Richard Louv  http://richardlouv.com/
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Richard+Louv%22

* Nature Deficit Disorder - "a range of current child health issues arising from a lifestyle
that focuses on screen time rather than outdoor exploration"
About: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_deficit_disorder
Search: http://www.google.com/search?q=%22nature+deficit+disorder%22
News: http://news.google.com/news?q=%22nature+deficit+disorder%22

Please share: http://GoodWork.ca/921635

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca