[sust-mar] Permaculture Apprentice, vol.+ meals+ accom., Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Feb 28 16:59:23 EST 2020

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

PERMACULTURE FARMING
http://FoodWork.ca/GrowLocal
http://FoodWork.ca/994265

Position: Apprentice
Location: Judique, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia
Type: vol. + meals, accommodation, monthly reimbursement (see below)

Twisted Roots Farm is an off-grid 74 acre permaculture farm nestled in the forest on beautiful Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia. We currently grow non-certified organic vegetables in a no-till permanent raised bed system on approximately one acre of cultivated land. Additionally, we raise pastured livestock on a small scale, including heritage breed pork, dairy goats, poultry, and cattle. We harvest all livestock on-site and sell through the Farm Gate Sales program of Nova Scotia.

Connecting others with the Wild, with their food, with the sacred art of life and death, and with the land that sustains us are reasons we have felt called to share this space with others. When we first arrived here, we envisioned that we would be homesteading with this place on a small scale, just the two of us. As time went on and the dream of this land revealed herself further to us, we realized that this is a gathering place. A space in which people are invited to be a part of something magical and full of life. This is why we have chosen to open this place up to others. Yes, you will learn to farm and to run a small business, yet at the core of it, what we offer is an opportunity to delve into the mysteries of your own soul and discover the golden threads that are woven deep within you.

Program Outline

The apprenticeship program is a three to six month program where apprentices learn hands on skills in farming, permaculture, building, agroforestry and nature based practices. The program is divided into three stages, starting with a two week trial volunteer period followed by a three month apprenticeship. Participants can then stay on for another three months, delving even deeper into projects on the farm, management, and more in-depth involvement into the business aspect of running a farm.

Learning Opportunities on the Farm

As we are a mixed farm, there is a diverse range of activities to be involved with. Here is an outline of the aspects of the farm that stewards and wild tenders will experience:
• planting and care of veggie starts
• sowing and transplanting of crops
• irrigation design and management
• soil health and fertility
• bed preparation
• weed management
• livestock care
• livestock harvest and butchering
• pasture management
• crop harvest and packaging
• direct marketing through farmers markets and on-site farm stand
• permaculture planning
• infrastructure design and building
• maintenance
• trail building
• daily food prep and cleanup
• bandsaw milling and handmade wood products
• forestry management
• agro tourism
• conflict resolution, sociocracy, and way of council

Compensation

Apprentices will be asked to work approximately 30 – 40 hours/week in exchange for meals and accommodation and a $100/month reimbursement for personal expenses. There will also be a budget allocated to each apprentice for additional training as agreed upon between the apprentices and Twisted Roots Farm. Funding for this training may be put towards a variety of local workshops and educational opportunities aimed at furthering learning and career development. We believe in the value of a diverse learning experience, which is why we want to provide apprentices with a wide range of practitioners and their unique perspectives.

Desired Qualities
• The ideal apprentices will be passionate, self-motivated, and physically fit.
• You will be creative and innovative and willing to explore new systems and practices that are unique to this place, as we are a newly formed farm.
• A sincere interest in personal growth and self reflection are key.
• You will have the ability to work as part of a group as well as maintain focus and motivation in self supervised work.
• And although we don’t need you to be as strong as an ox, you will need to be able to lift at least 50 pounds and handle challenges like bugs, humidity, and hard work.
• It would be preferable that you have a current emergency first aid certificate, but if not, we will allocate a portion of your training budget to the completion of this certificate.
• We do not expect that you have gardening/farming experience, yet you must be open to learning and willing to work in all kinds of weather.
• This experience will test you and we hope, broaden your scope and provide you with a deep appreciation of life and a true knowing of self.

How to Apply

Feeding people and farming in deep relationship with the land is a mighty task and one that requires a village to fully cultivate. We welcome you to come and be a part of this exciting endeavor! Please visit our website at http://www.twistedrootsfarm.ca under "Apprenticeship Program" for more details. You can also email us at info at twistedrootsfarm.ca for more information.

http://FoodWork.ca/volunteer
http://FoodWork.ca/994265

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/994265

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca