[sust-mar] Organic farming, full-time, accom., Four Seasons Organic Farm, near Truro, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jan 7 15:55:00 EST 2020

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

TRURO / NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/944555

Farm Worker Position on organic vegetable farm

Positions: Skilled Farm Workers
Farm: Four Seasons Certified Organic Farm
Location: Maitland, near Truro, Nova Scotia
Housing: Some on-farm housing available but off-site is preferred, other options could be explored.

Looking for help for the 2020 growing year and beyond! Come be part of a fun hardworking crew dedicated to growing great vegetables.

At least two full time positions available to hardworking people with farm experience. Part time arrangements with or without land for growing are also options for the right candidates.

Four Seasons Farm is a medium-sized certified organic mixed vegetable farm on the Bay of Fundy in central Nova Scotia serving directly to Halifax restaurants, stores and farmers’ market (in Halifax).

Job Description:

Farm worker will be working in fields and greenhouses doing day-to-day farm work, independently and in a team. Instructions will be given on a daily basis with potential for an independent work schedule and task list.
• Field and bed preparation (fertilizing, raking, etc.)
• Seeding crops (particularly salad greens)
• Transplanting
• Weed control (hoeing, wheel hoeing, hand weeding etc.)
• Setting up irrigation
• Watering duties (including some weekends)
• Harvesting regularly (four part days a week)
• Working the Saturday farmers market occasionally (setting up and selling)
• General farm maintenance (fixing, building, painting etc.)
• Greenhouse management

Qualifications:
• Efficient
• Hardworking
• Strong communication skills
• Good physical condition
• Independent and self-directed
• Motivated to get better at tasks and find the best way to do something
• Passionate about sustainable agriculture and food
• Aware of what’s happening around and mindful of farm systems while carrying out tasks
• Attention to detail

Compensation

$14/hr; generally 40hr weeks

Housing:

Some on-farm housing available but off-site is preferred, other options could be explored.

Time Commitments:
• March/April -Oct 31st
• Possibility of starting later
• Monday-Friday and occasional weekends (need one person watering every weekend)
• Saturdays for markets as needed

Opportunities:
• Land to grow your own crops for yourself or to sell to the farm.
• We are looking to build relationships in order to involve more people in the operation and ownership of the farm. Open to ideas about how to do that and we have some of our own as well.
• Seeking people who want to work here in the long term

For more on the farm, visit our website at http://www.fourseasonsfarm.ca

To apply or for questions about the position please email:
info at fourseasonsfarm.ca

Include your resume, cover letter and references!

http://FoodWork.ca/hiring
http://FoodWork.ca/944555

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/944555

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms