[sust-mar] Public meeting Mahone Bay, January 26: "There's Still Time to Protect Our Bays: Say No to Open-Net Fish Farming"

Marion Moore marionm12 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 14:16:47 EST 2020

*Free public meeting: “ There's still time to protect our bays: Say No to
open-net fish farming”*

Mahone Bay Centre

45 School Street, Mahone Bay

Sunday, January 26, 2020, 2 pm

The South Shore Chapter of the Council of Canadians, in partnership with
the Twin Bays Coalition, is presenting a meeting, “There's still time to
protect our bays: Say No to open-net fish farming”. In light of the NS
government’s giving an option to Japanese aquaculture giant, Cermaq, to
explore putting open-net pens in St. Margaret’s and Mahone Bays, this
public meeting will examine the risks associated with open-net fish
farming. Open-net pens, which are being eliminated in BC, threaten our
environment though disease, parasites, toxic chemicals and more.

The event will include presentations from the Ecology Action Centre, the
Twin Bays Coalition, Protect Liverpool Bay, St. Mary’s Bay Protectors, and
the Association for the Preservation of the Eastern Shore. Excerpts of the
film, *Salmon Wars*: *Wild Fish, Aquaculture and the Future of
Communities,* will
be shown; a short film on a Nova Scotia land-based alternative to open-net
pens will also be presented. There will be opportunities for discussion
among panelists and questions / comments from the audience will be
encouraged as we address an issue that is a concern in communities
throughout the province.

The event will be held on Sunday, January 26, 2020, 2 pm at the Mahone Bay
Centre (45 School St., Mahone Bay). Light refreshments will be served.
Admission
is free, but donations will be gratefully received to cover costs.  Everyone
is welcome to attend.

For more information:  southshore.coc at gmail.com and twinbays.ca