[sust-mar] Garden Engagement Coordinator, f/t contract, Common Roots Urban Farm, Halifax/Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Thu Apr 1 16:49:37 EDT 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

LOCAL FOOD, COMMUNITY GARDENING & URBAN AGRICULTURE
https://FoodWork.ca/hiring
https://FoodWork.ca/981395

Position: Garden Engagement Coordinator
Location: Halifax/Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Eligibility: these positions are funded through the Job Creation Partnership program. Eligibility requirements may include having a current or previous EI or CERB claim. See details below or visit this link.

Hours: 30 hours a week Mid/late April – Mid November. Most hours will be during week days, but some evening and weekend work will be required.

The Garden Engagement Coordinator will outreach and engage community members in our garden project at the Nova Scotia Hospital in Dartmouth and generally help create a functioning, supportive and welcoming space in the garden and community market.

Individuals who identify as Indigenous, African Nova Scotian, Black and/or racialized are encouraged to apply and self identify.

Duties
• Support gardeners by facilitating the lending of tools, assisting them where needed, answering questions and creating a welcoming atmosphere.
• Help build new beds for the community garden and common plots, and maintain the grounds and gardens. This will include weeding, transplanting, watering, harvesting.
• Help run the community market including reaching out to the community and assisting customers.
• Help to recruit, train, and supervise volunteers in the garden
• Where applicable, assist the Education and Communications Development Coordinator with workshops, events and educational materials.

Skills/Qualifications:

Applicants should be comfortable with outdoor physical work (including bending, kneeling and lifting heavy objects) in all kinds of weather and be interested in gardening, mental health, and working with people. Basic computer and email skills may also be needed.

The ideal candidate for this job will:
• Have experience gardening vegetables and/or have a keen interest to learn. A passion for cooking/local eating is also a great asset.
• Have strong attention to detail and able to carry out tasks independently
• Have enthusiasm for outdoor physical work
• Have experience working with and coordinating diverse groups of people
• Have experience with fast paced market environments
• Work well both independently and as part of a team.
• Drivers license and access to a vehicle is an asset

Please note, interpreters can be made available for interview and training for this position.

Deadline for applications: Tuesday April 13

To Apply:

Please send a cover letter and resume to hlindsay at mymetroworks.ca with ‘Garden Engagement Coordinator’ in the Subject line.

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Please note, this position will be funded through the Job Creation Partnership. Applicants are encouraged to apply to the program as soon as possible to allow an earlier start date once hired.

Payment is made through Employment Nova Scotia and generally works out to be above $15/hour for a 30 hour per week position.

To be eligible, you also must meet ONE of the following:
• Have a current Employment Insurance (EI) claim
• Have had an EI claim that ended within the last 60 months
• Have received benefits under the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)
• Have been employed with gross insurable earnings of $2000 or higher annually in at least 5 of the last 10 years.

Other criteria also apply. Please refer to: https://novascotia.ca/employmentnovascotia/programs/job-creation-partnerships.asp

About Common Roots-Woodside

CRUF-Woodside is a community garden and market garden on the grounds of the Nova Scotia Hospital, which serves mental health and addictions patients.

We use gardening as a way to promote physical, mental and environmental health. We do this by providing community gardening space; offering skills training and educational workshops; making healthy, ecologically-grown food more accessible to community members, hospital clients and staff; doing garden programming with hospital patients, and creating a space for gardening that’s supportive and welcoming.

We currently have over 85 community plots that are used by community members, hospital staff and patients. We also have a market garden that grows food for the hospital and community; and common plots that are a space for the general public to explore, learn and sample from.

https://FoodWork.ca/hiring
https://FoodWork.ca/981395

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/981395

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms