[sust-mar] Communication & Events Coordinator, OATHE, Halifax

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jan 6 20:30:25 EST 2021

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

NOVA SCOTIA JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/NovaScotia
https://GoodWork.ca/903285

Position: Communication, Outreach & Events Coordinator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Type: part-time, 12 week student position (see below)

Who We Are: The OATHE Project is a brand-new environmental non-profit, that encourages people to engage in small-scale acts of change that may individually seem insignificant but can collectively make massive impact.

OATHE itself is an acronym that stands for “One Act at a Time to Help the Earth.” And our project aims to leverage the power of technology and social media to spread the message that the environmental challenges of our time require all of us to do our parts. What does this mean? In addition to major structural shifts that must happen at an institutional level, individual mindsets/ behaviors also need to change. Hence, our campaigns have two goals: First, to educate the public about certain environmental issues. And second, to have them #TaketheOATHE and commit to singular action steps on a regular basis, that may seem small, but can collectively make global impact.

For this year, our environmental issue of focus has been ocean pollution. And our OATHE is to pick up one piece of litter each day and commit to reducing plastic waste. So far, we’ve had hundreds share in the pledge, and at least a dozen clean-ups have been organized since June. The goal? Get 2,021 pledgees for the #TrashBeGone campaign this year, which would mean a collective diversion of 42 tons of garbage and 7.5 million pieces of plastic waste.

Learn more about us by visiting our social media, or our website @ http://www.oneactatatime.org!

Who We Are Looking For: A social media whiz who’s as passionate about environmental change as we are! Our ideal candidate will be very good with technology, creative in how they design their content, data-driven in their approach and open about sharing ideas to improve our young non-profit. They will also help with our community outreach beyond social media, from organizing virtual events like a hackathon being planned for March 2021, to planning educational workshops, to recruiting volunteers, to finding partners for future projects, and more.

If you are an enthusiastic, community-minded, can-do individual, who believes in the power of collective action to make global impact, cares about the environmental problems of our time, does not mind wearing a different hat every day, and enjoys the challenges of marketing to a global audience, this is the ideal job for you.

Responsibilities:
• Actively exploring new ways to increase community engagement, from increasing OATHE’s social media reach, finding new partners to work with and working on content marketing (e.g. writing blog posts).
• Developing our website’s capabilities to better deliver on campaigns for OATHE, while also integrating new systems to easily message pledgees, track engagement and share content quickly.
• Keeping active/ updated various accounts related to the online presence of the OATHE Project, including our Instagram and Facebook accounts (here), as well as our website (oneactatatime.org).
• Coordinating and helping with events designed to promote eco-action, with a particular focus for this Winter on a global hackathon that is being organized for March 2021, that encourages youth to create technological solutions to address problems connected to climate change.
• Exploring questions related to the long-term sustainability of the OATHE Project, which may include things like ideating around our young non-profit’s future paths, researching grant funding to sustain our work in the long-term, and designing new campaigns/ events that can maximize our impact.
• And finally, assisting us with a variety of other tasks, whether that’s helping to run meetings, managing finances, being a PR contact, or more
 Truthfully, there’s a lot here that is undefined, and we encourage anyone applying to bring in new ideas, make their unique mark & develop the position into their own!

Learning Outcomes:
• Gain an understanding of life in a non-profit start-up, and be a part of its early growth
• Learn about the challenges involved in implementing environmental change at a global scale
• See how marketing and communications theories can be implemented in real life
• Develop competencies for community-based outreach, both at an individual and organizational level
• Experience the challenge of having at least one of your original ideas be implemented in practice!

Desired Qualifications:
• Pursuing degree(s) in business, commerce, communications/ marketing, community development, environmental studies, international development, philosophy, social science or similar
• Excellent organizational, time management and problem-solving skills
• Willingness to learn, and open to sharing new ideas to improve the organization
• And above all, a genuine passion for the environment, a desire to make a difference for our planet, and a belief in the power of individual actions to together make massive, collective, global impact!

Other Notes for Eligibility:
• Applicant must be a full-time or part-time student at a Canadian post-secondary educational institution.
• They must also be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a refugee under whom refugee protection has been conferred, under Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
• They must be legally entitled to work in Canada according to the relevant provincial legislation.
• And they must be willing to comply with all other relevant eligibility checks and paperwork required of our funding partners at the Student Work Placement Program (SWPP).

Rate of Pay: $16 per hour, for 15 hours a week, running 12 weeks starting February 1st, 2020

Work Location: The OATHE Project is a global initiative, but is formally incorporated in Halifax NS, Canada. That said, all work for Winter 2021 (including events) will be done remotely and at home, due to the circumstances surrounding COVID-19. This means that applicants from across Canada are encouraged to apply.

Final Application Instructions: Please e-mail us your resume, a copy of your unofficial transcript and a cover letter, at theoatheproject at gmail.com . The application deadline is January 22nd, 2020. And here’s a tip
 Speak from the heart, be specific as to why this job posting piqued your interest and give some insight into who you are beyond a traditional list of accomplishments, especially as it relates to your environmental interests or initiatives. And if you do have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out at the e-mail above. Best of luck!

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/903285

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca