[sust-mar] Climate Forests Technician, full-time, anywhere in the Maritimes

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Apr 15 14:47:13 EDT 2022

* Work in forests, conservation - GoodWork.ca/Forests *

FOREST CONSERVATION & STEWARDSHIP
https://GoodWork.ca/Forests
https://GoodWork.ca/920046

Help protect and restore the endangered Wabanaki forest in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

Position: Forests Technician
Type: Full-time
Location: Work from home anywhere in the Maritime provinces with optional office space in Sackville, New Brunswick. Regular travel to locations in southern New Brunswick and Nova Scotia for fieldwork and meetings, and occasional travel to Prince Edward Island.

Organization

Community Forests International believes some of the most important climate change solutions come from people who live and work closely with forests. That's why our mission is to protect and restore the climate by enabling communities and forests to thrive together around the world.

Community Forests International has the honour of caring for several forests in the unceded territories of the Mi’kmaq and Wolastoqiyik Nations and we are now expanding this work. To learn more please visit the Wabanaki forest.

Job Description

Community Forests International is searching for a Forest Technician to join our ambitious and deeply collaborative team as we grow. The new team member will assist with forest surveys and carbon inventories, climate-focused forest management and education programs, and new land conservation efforts. The Forest Technician will work closely with other members of the forest team and support our forest sites primarily throughout southern New Brunswick and increasingly in Nova Scotia.

Prioritization

We strive to be a caring and welcoming workplace and we are excited to receive applications from a diversity of people. Because this job involves working directly with the unceded land of the Mi’kmaq and Wolastoqiyik Nations we are especially welcoming of applications from people from these Nations, or from people who have a direct connection to Indigenous communities.

Job Duties

1. Forest Inventories & Monitoring
• Completing forest inventories and monitoring of Community Forests’ properties and for clients, including inventorying regeneration, timber, and carbon, and cataloging tree species diversity and other ecological features.
• Inputting and analyzing data following established monitoring processes.

2. Forest Management Planning & Operations
• Supporting the Forest Program Manager to develop management plans, including climate-adaptive silvicultural interventions, for Community Forests’ properties.
• Implementing management plans on Community Forests’ properties by working with the Forest Program Manager to organize and supervise forest management activities including contractor services.
• Working with reforestation partners to deliver Community Forests’ annual tree-planting program.
• Contributing to database management and ArcGIS maps and data management.

3. Forest Land Securement
• Supporting the teamwork to locate and secure high-priority forest properties for Community Forests’ programs in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island.

4. Forest Program Development
• Collaborating with Indigenous organizations, clients, local forest product marketing boards and co-ops, researchers, landowners, and the general public to further Community Forests’ programs.
• Supporting the delivery of workshops and training for forestry professionals, landowners, and the public.
• Contributing to funding applications and proposal development on an as-needed basis.
• Regularly participating in Community Forests’ full-team programs and activities.

Essential Qualifications

Candidates should have either academic or work experience as a Forest Technician or Forester. Additional essential qualifications include:
• Skill and comfort in navigating solo through the woods with online/offline maps, GPS, and compass.
• Experience in forest and/or natural science sampling techniques or traditional forest knowledge techniques.
• Comfortable speaking directly with various stakeholders including landowners and in public presentations.
• Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
• Tree identification in the Wabanaki Forest.
• Completion of at least one course or work experience using ArcGIS 10.
• Competence using Microsoft Excel & Office and other workplace applications.

Essential Qualities

Candidates are required to be:
• Committed to Community Forests International's full vision and mission and our core principles of trust and justice.
• Able to work alone and as part of a team.
• Self-directed and self-motivated, and able to organize and manage own workflow effectively.

Beneficial Qualifications and Skills

Exceptional candidates will also display the following:
• Understanding of Traditional Indigenous Wabanaki Forest Knowledge.
• Experience organizing and overseeing forest management activities, including harvesting and road building.
• Knowledge of English, French, and other local languages is an asset.
• Familiarity with climate-smart forest management interventions.
• Experience in forest mensuration.
• Comfortable staying alone overnight at field sites in rustic accommodations.

Work Location and Salary

The successful candidate can work remotely from anywhere in the Maritimes, with regular travel to southern New Brunswick and throughout the Maritimes for fieldwork. This position is a full-time permanent position, and is remunerated based on 37.5 hours per week (flexible) with a starting salary range of $38,000 to $45,000 annually depending on experience level.

Application Deadline

Candidates are asked to submit their resume and a cover letter with “Forest Technician” as the subject line to: jobs at forestsinternational.org by May 8th, 2022. If you would like any accessibility accommodations for the application process please reach out.

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Only successful candidates will be contacted for an interview, and interviews will be held beginning May 9th, 2022.

Community Forests International is committed to diversity in our workplace and encourages applications from traditionally marginalized groups such as, but not limited to: racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons from the LGBTQIA2S+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter if they are a member of an underrepresented community (if they are comfortable doing so).

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/920046

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/920046

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca