[sust-mar] Community Engagement Officer, f/t, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Aug 31 14:37:03 EDT 2022

* Work in environment, climate action, sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT
https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/927556

Position: Community Engagement Officer
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Electric School Bus Community Engagement Officer Job Posting EAC 22-08-29

ABOUT US

The Ecology Action Centre is a dynamic and vibrant environmental charity based in Nova Scotia. This year the Ecology Action Centre is celebrating 50 years of taking action and leadership on critical issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. We are grounded in community and act as strong watchdog for a just and sustainable society. Ecology Action Centre | action is our middle name

Our Energy team strives to promote policy changes which move Nova Scotia towards a fossil-fuel free future. We work closely with the sustainable transportation team to increase the use of transportation modes in Nova Scotia, like walking, cycling, and transit use, that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, promote healthy communities, and ensure equitable access for all.

ABOUT YOU

You have a keen interest in sustainable transportation, specifically the positive impact electric school bus and electric vehicle adoption will have on reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Nova Scotia. Your experience in supporting advocacy campaigns, convening stakeholders and mobilizing supporters will allow you to assist with the implementation of the EAC’s electric vehicle policy campaigns.

YOUR FOCUS

The Electric School Bus Community Engagement Officer will focus on building community support for school bus electrification, as well as centering and elevating the decarbonization of student transportation within the public discourse. Key elements of this work will include stakeholder coordination, development of public facing materials, and engaging in administrative tasks to support the implementation of the Ecology Action Centre’s Electric School Bus Initiative.

KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide administrative support and assist with the implementation of the Ecology Action Centre’s School bus Electrification Initiative
• Proactively support activities which engage student activist groups, teachers, bus drivers, health advocates and professionals to mobilize support for the deployment of electric school buses (ESBs) based on the benefits of school bus electrification such as student health and safety, emissions reductions, grid balancing, and youth education relating to sustainability.
• Provide assistance with the coordination of other NGOs engaged in similar work, including the Conservation Council of New Brunswick and the Canadian Eletric School Bus Alliance (CESBSA).
• Support the EAC’s engagement with stakeholders involved in school bus electrification, including school bus manufacturers, operations managers, and government officials.
• Assist in generating campaign related media coverage, producing online content as requested, including blogs, press releases and social media.
• Coordinate the development of supportive materials aimed at demonstrating public support for electric school buses, including videos, open letters, op-eds and briefings.
• Understand role of student transportation in the larger pathway to net zero emissions and in efforts to promote grid stability.
• Support the EAC’s advocacy work relating to other active transportation policy changes, including Zero Emissions Vehicles (ZEV) Mandates.

WHAT YOU WILL BRING
• Experience supporting advocacy campaigns, with at least 6 months experience in advocacy campaigning, project administration, or communications.
• A degree or equivalent experience-based learning connected to education, administration, environmental science, planning, engineering, public policy or related field
• Demonstrated capability to synthesize and distill large amounts of detailed information over a broad range of research related to electric buses and electric vehicles
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience supporting community and public engagement efforts, including meeting and group facilitation and event planning
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively allocate your time to complete important productive tasks
• Contribute to a collaborative team environment
• Commitment to environmental justice
• Willingness to participate in and support the overall work of the Ecology Action Centre, including but not limited to community queries, engagement organizing, and promoting our overall impact
• Experience with Adobe Technical Communication Suite is considered an asset
• French is considered an asset

WHAT WE OFFER
• A full time, 1-year fixed term position, 37.5 hours a week (Mon-Fri)
• Starting wage range is $19.67 - $21.56 based on level of knowledge, experience and skills.
• Four weeks of paid vacation, 10 paid health days, 12 paid Holidays, cost-shared benefits plan
• Flexibility to work from home with a requirement for on-site days at our renovated, energy-efficient green office building located in the North end of Halifax at 2705 Fern Lane.
• The first floor of our building is designed to be universally accessible.

TO APPLY:

Please submit a single PDF document titled “YOURNAME_ Electric School Bus Community Engagement Officer via Ecology Action Centre jobs and careers . Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.

Due Date: September 12, 2022. We thank all applicants for their time and interest, however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.

The Ecology Action Centre is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from individuals in traditionally underrepresented groups including, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Mi’kmaq and other Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. We encourage applicants to self-identify in their cover letter or application if they are a member of an underrepresented community.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/927556

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/927556

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca