[sust-mar] Enviro jobs & summer jobs, Coastal Action, Lunenburg County NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jan 27 16:24:49 EST 2022

* Work in environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

SUMMER JOBS & STUDENT JOBS
https://GoodWork.ca/Summer
https://GoodWork.ca/Maritimes

Positions: Environmental Educator / Species at Risk & Biodiversity Field Technician / Watersheds & Water Quality Junior Field Technician / Watersheds & Water Quality Senior Field Technician
Type: summer jobs
Location: Lunenburg County, Nova Scotia

~~~~~~~~~~~

1. Environmental Educator – 4-month full-time

Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in December 1993.

On behalf of Coastal Action, we are looking for an enthusiastic team player to fill our Environmental Educator role. This role is a 4-month full-time position beginning in late April or early May 2022 and ending in August 2022 (final dates to be negotiated). Reporting to the Environmental Education Team Lead, the Environmental Educator will assist in overseeing the preparation and implementation of all Spring and Summer environmental education programs. All programs take place outdoors and are designed to provide participants with opportunities to enjoy experiential learning, science, discovery, and being active in nature. Programs typically include games, stories, creative projects, exploration, and physical activity, as well as hands-on learning related to the theme of the camp. Responsibilities will include assisting with program development, prop and equipment management, trail maintenance, and facilitating parts of the programs.

Your Opportunity:
• Plan and implement exciting experiential learning opportunities, including school activities, summer camps, and family nature programs.
• Be a leader who uses their influence to ensure that programs run safely, dynamically, and are inclusive to all participants.
• Deliver quality adventurous programs that immerse participants in the natural world.
• Motivate and coach youth volunteers to reach their full potential.
• Collect and maintain detailed program notes.
• Complete required work tasks while adhering to current industry standards and regulatory requirements.
• Prepare and use the appropriate equipment for the required tasks.
• Follow safety protocols, travel to and from program sites, with proper use and care for program gear.
• Be flexible and open to all tasks which promote, support, and facilitate all project activities associated with Coastal Action.

Your Experience(s) and Education:
• A minimum of one-year of experience in a similar role.
• Experience in program leadership, program planning, and evaluation.
• Enrolled in or completed University/college education in a relevant field (recreation, education, or environmental studies/science).
• Current certification in Emergency First Aid + CPR Level A (or equivalent) by the start date of the contract.
• Screening through the Child Abuse Registry and a criminal records check (to be completed following offer of employment).
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
• Previous environmental/non-profit experience is considered an asset.

How do we define success for your role?

As an enthusiastic Environmental Educator, you enjoy working in a team environment and can take on a coordination role with designing and implementing recreational and educational programs for children, youth, and community members. You possess excellent organizational skills and effective communication skills in working with the public. Working outdoors, managing a busy program calendar, and balancing a varying work schedule all sound like fun challenges to you. You have a passion and appreciation for nature, and a strong desire to share that with others.

Coastal Action is a driven team dedicated to providing education, research, and environmental services to the South Shore region of Nova Scotia. If you have what it takes to join our team, we would like to hear from you.

To apply:

Resumes and accompanying cover letters identifying how you can contribute to Coastal Action’s success as an Environmental Educator can be sent to katherine at coastalaction.org

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Coastal Action is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Coastal Action values our partners, community, and our team member's health and safety, we follow Nova Scotia Public Health guidelines and mandates as they arise.

Closing date: Monday, February 7, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.

~~~~~~~~~~~

2. Species at Risk & Biodiversity Field Technician – 4-month full-time (Multiple positions available)

Coastal Action is seeking an experienced student or recent graduate to join our Species at Risk & Biodiversity Team in a Field Technician role. Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in 1993. Located in Mahone Bay, this role is a 4-month full-time position beginning April or early May 2022 and ending August 2022 (final date to be negotiated), with a possibility of extension. Reporting to the Species at Risk & Biodiversity Team Lead, the Field Technician will assist with various tasks relating to Coastal Action’s American Eel, Snapping Turtle and Eastern Ribbonsnake, and Atlantic Whitefish Projects.

Your Opportunity:
• Conduct a wide variety of hands-on fieldwork including, but not limited to: Eastern ribbonsnake surveys, turtle nesting surveys, fish and reptile handling, deploying and checking various trap types, water quality monitoring, zooplankton sampling, and electrofishing.
• Help to conduct environmental outreach through social media, public presentations, and workshops.
• Conduct data collection, entry, and management as well as assist with technical writing.
• Assist other Coastal Action teams such as the Watersheds & Water Quality and Environmental Education Team, as time allows.

Your Experience(s) and Education:
• Post-secondary education (enrolled in or completed) with a concentration in environmental science, biology, fisheries/wildlife management, or other related disciplines.
• Flexible and adaptable to a changing work schedule (including weekend and evening work).
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
• Ability to perform and multi-task in challenging work environments and weather conditions.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and efficient time management.
• An aptitude for safe work practices.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
• Up-to-date certification in Standard First Aid + CPR Level A (or equivalent) by the start date of the contract.
• Additional skills and experiences considered assets include experience with species at risk, fish and/or reptile handling, using canoes and small motorboats, electrofishing surveys, water quality monitoring, snorkelling, and zooplankton ID.
• A Pleasure Craft Operator’s License, Paddle Canada Certification, Backpack Electrofishing, and Boat Electrofishing Operator certification are considered assets.

How do we define success for your role?

The Species at Risk & Biodiversity Field Technician will spend most of their time conducting fieldwork on a wide variety of projects. This will be an exciting, fast-paced, and dynamic role in which the successful candidate will gain experience with numerous environments and species. Fieldwork locations may include East River (Chester), the Petite Rivière watershed, the LaHave River watershed, and the Roseway River (Shelburne). Candidates must be comfortable working in and around water (lakes, streams, and wetlands) and performing physical tasks in all weather conditions and challenging environments. This position will require flexibility to work weekends, with the possibility of some evening and overnight work. The successful candidate must also be willing to assist with other Coastal Action projects and outreach opportunities when needed. Some office work will be required and will take place at Coastal Action’s office in Mahone Bay and/or remotely from the employee’s home.

Coastal Action is a driven team dedicated to providing education, research, and environmental services to the South Shore region of NS. If you have what it takes to join our team, we would like to hear from you.

To apply:

Resumes and accompanying cover letters identifying how you can contribute to Coastal Action’s success in the role of Field Technician can be sent to Amy Russell at amy at coastalaction.org

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Coastal Action is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to encouraging a diverse and inclusive work environment. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Coastal Action values our partners, community, and our team member's health and safety, we follow Nova Scotia Public Health guidelines and mandates as they arise.

Closing date: Monday, February 7 th, 2022 at 11:59 pm.

~~~~~~~~~~~

3. Watersheds & Water Quality Jr. Field Technician – 2-month full-time

Coastal Action is seeking an experienced student or recent graduate to fill our Watersheds & Water Quality Jr. Field Technician role. Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in 1993. Located in Mahone Bay, this role is a 4-month full-time position beginning July 2022 and ending August 2022 (final date to be negotiated), with a possibility of extension. Reporting to the Project Coordinator, the Jr. Field Technician will assist with various tasks relating to Coastal Action’s LaHave River Watershed Project and contribute to other Coastal Action initiatives as needed.

Your Opportunity:
• Work with the Watersheds Team to complete hands-on field work such as fish habitat and aquatic connectivity assessments, installing fish habitat restoration and fish passage improvement structures, and backpack electrofishing surveys.
• Help to deliver public and school presentations and community outreach.
• Conduct data management and data entry.
• Possibly assist with other Coastal Action Teams such as the Species at Risk & Biodiversity Team, as time allows.

Your Experience(s) and Education:
• Post-secondary education (enrolled in or completed) with a concentration in environmental science, biology, fisheries/wildlife management or other related disciplines.
• Flexible and adaptable to a changing work schedule (including weekend and evening work).
• Self-motivated, with the ability to work independently.
• Ability to perform and multi-task in challenging work environments and weather conditions.
• Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and efficient time management.
• An aptitude for safe work practices.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• A valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle for work purposes.
• Current certification in Standard First Aid + CPR Level A (or equivalent) by the start date of the contract.
• Additional skills considered assets include experience with fish habitat restoration, fish passage improvement, water quality monitoring, fish handling, identification of Nova Scotia fish species, electrofishing surveys, operating small boats, GIS mapping.

How do we define success for your role?

The Jr. Field Technician will work closely with the Watersheds Project Coordinator and Sr. Field Technician to complete various project activities in both the office and field locations. This will be an exciting, fast-paced role in which the successful candidate will gain experience relating to fish habitat restoration, fish passage improvement, fish surveys, aquatic invertebrate sampling, developing fish habitat restoration plans, data management, and scientific monitoring. Field work locations will include the LaHave River watershed, and possibly the Gold River (Chester Basin). Office work will be completed at the Coastal Action office located in Mahone Bay with the option to work remotely as needed. Candidates must be comfortable working in and around water and performing physical tasks in all weather conditions and challenging environments. This position will require flexibility, the ability to work weekends, with the possibility of some evening and overnight work. The successful
  candidate must also be willing to assist with other Coastal Action projects and outreach opportunities as needed.

Resumes and accompanying cover letters identifying how you can contribute to Coastal Action’s success in the role of Jr. Field Technician can be sent to Blake McNeely at blake at coastalaction.org

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Coastal Action is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Coastal Action values our partners, community, and our team member's health and safety, we follow Nova Scotia Public Health guidelines and mandates as they arise.

Closing date: Monday, February 7 at 11:59pm

~~~~~~~~~~~

4. Watersheds & Water Quality Jr. Field Technician – 4-month full-time

Coastal Action is seeking an experienced student or recent graduate to fill our Watersheds & Water Quality Jr. Field Technician role. Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in 1993. Located in Mahone Bay, this role is a 4-month full-time position beginning April or May 2022 and ending August 2022 (final date to be negotiated), with a possibility of extension. Reporting to the Project Coordinator, the Jr. Field Technician will assist with various tasks relating to Coastal Action’s LaHave River Watershed Project and contribute to other Coastal Action initiatives as needed.

[...]

5. Watersheds & Water Quality Senior Field Technician – 8-month full-time

Coastal Action is seeking an experienced individual to join our team as Sr. Field Technician working on the LaHave River Watershed Project. Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in December 1993. Located in Mahone Bay, this role is an 8-month full-time position beginning April, 2022, and ending November 2022 (final date to be negotiated), with the possibility of extension. Reporting to the Project Coordinator, the Sr. Field Technician will assist with various tasks relating to Coastal Action’s LaHave River Watershed Project and contribute to other Coastal Action initiatives as needed.

Your Opportunity:
• Work with the Watersheds Team to complete hands-on field work such as fish habitat and aquatic connectivity assessments, installing fish habitat restoration and fish passage improvement structures, and backpack electrofishing surveys.
• Help to deliver public and school presentations and community outreach.
• Manage and summarize data using Excel and ArcGIS.
• Possibly assist with other Coastal Action Teams such as the Species at Risk & Biodiversity Team, as time allows.

Your Experience(s) and Education:
• Post-secondary education with a concentration in environmental science, biology, fisheries/wildlife management or other related disciplines.
[...]

The Sr. Field Technician will work closely with the Watersheds Project Coordinator and Jr. Field Technician to complete various project activities in both the office and field locations. This will be an exciting, fast-paced role in which the successful candidate will gain experience relating to fish habitat restoration, fish passage improvement, fish surveys, aquatic invertebrate sampling, developing fish habitat restoration plans, data management, and scientific monitoring. Field work locations will include the LaHave River watershed, and possibly the Gold River (Chester Basin). Office work will be completed at the Coastal Action office located in Mahone Bay with the option to work remotely as needed. Candidates must be comfortable working in and around water and performing physical tasks in all weather conditions and challenging environments. This position will require flexibility, the ability to work weekends, with the possibility of some evening and overnight work. The successful

Resumes and accompanying cover letters identifying how you can contribute to Coastal Action’s success in the role of Sr. Field Technician can be sent to Blake McNeely at blake at coastalaction.org

Please indicate you saw this posting at [vShortName].

Coastal Action is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Coastal Action values our partners, community, and our team member's health and safety, we follow Nova Scotia Public Health guidelines and mandates as they arise.

Closing date: Monday, February 7 at 11:59pm

~~~~~~~~~~~

6. Watersheds & Water Quality Senior Field Technician – 8-month full-time

Coastal Action is seeking an experienced individual to join our team as a Senior Field Technician working on our water quality contracts and programs. Coastal Action is a charitable organization that addresses environmental concerns throughout the South Shore region of Nova Scotia and was established in December 1993. Located in Mahone Bay, this role is an 8-month full-time position beginning May 2022 and ending December 2022 (final date to be negotiated), with the possibility of extension. Reporting to the Watersheds & Water Quality Team Lead, the Sr. Field Technician will carry out water sampling fieldwork, data entry, and contribute to final report writing. The Sr. Field Technician will also assist with other Coastal Action initiatives as needed.

Your Opportunity:
• Work with the Watersheds Team to complete hands-on fieldwork such as water quality measurements, water sample collection, data entry, and analysis.
[...]

• Additional skills considered assets include experience with the use, storage, maintenance, and calibration of YSI digital handheld meters, water sample collection, data entry and analysis, R studios, report writing, and working with volunteer groups.

How do we define success for your role?

The Sr. Field Technician will work independently, and as part of a team with Coastal Action staff and volunteers to complete various project activities in both the office and field locations. This will be an exciting, fast-paced role in which the successful candidate will gain experience relating to water quality collection and interpretation, data management, and report writing. Fieldwork locations will include the LaHave River watershed, the Petite Rivière, and other various locations. Office work will be completed at the Coastal Action office located in Mahone Bay with the option to work remotely as needed. Candidates must be comfortable working in and around water and performing physical tasks in all weather conditions and challenging environments. This position will require flexibility, the ability to work weekends, with the possibility of some evening and overnight work. The successful candidate must also be willing to assist with other Coastal Action projects and outreach oppo
 rtunities as needed.

https://GoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/964626

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/964626

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca