[sust-mar] Youth career dev't / training, free/vol., Moncton, Saint John & Fredericton, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jul 26 17:40:39 EDT 2022

* Work in environment, sustainability, climate action - GoodWork.ca *

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / CAREER TRAINING
https://GoodWork.ca/volunteer
https://GoodWork.ca/991256

25 Positions: Youth City Builder (Moncton, Sackville, Saint John and Fredericton)
Location: Moncton, Sackville, Saint John and Fredericton, New Brunswick
Eligibility: you are 18-29 years of age and you live, study, or work in Moncton, Sackville, Saint John or Fredericton in New Brunswick (see below)

Introduction:

Do you want to create concrete solutions to build a more equitable and healthier city? Then Future City Builders may be for you!

Future City Builders brings together youth, aged 18-29, in cities across Canada to create and launch innovative ideas for their communities. Participants develop work-ready skills and make new contacts, all while improving the health of their city through professional development training from Evergreen. The program cultivates in a Pitch Night where youth teams will have a chance to pitch their ideas for a chance to win $5K in seed funding.

We are recruiting 25 Youth City Builders to join the 2022-23 Future City Builders program in Moncton, Sackville, Saint John and Fredericton! As a participant in this program, you will learn from thought leaders in topics related to healthy cities – including evidence-based approaches to transportation, housing, well-being and more. You’ll be trained in approach to problem solving called “design thinking” and develop a solution to a challenge facing your community. We’re looking for applicants who are eager to learn, excited about making change in their communities, and ready to build their networks.

This is a virtual program that takes place over Zoom. This program is available in English only. Accompanying resources may be provided in English and French as acquired.

Please note this is a volunteer program and there is no participant compensation. Service access micro-grants are available to participants who face barriers to participation.

About Us:
Evergreen makes cities more livable, green and prosperous. For 30 years, we’ve been facilitating change in communities through connection, innovation and sustainable actions. We work with community builders across sectors to solve some of the most pressing issues cities face: climate change, housing affordability, and access to nature and public spaces.

About the Role:

We are looking for 25 youth from Moncton, Sackville, Saint John and Fredericton that identify as underemployed or unemployed to be placed in teams and create community solutions for one of the challenge areas in your community. You don’t need to have a deep knowledge of any of these issues, or experience in tackling challenges through a “design thinking” lens — you will learn those skills with us! Everyone has their own experiences, interests and expertise, so we encourage you to apply. You just need to live in Moncton, Sackville, Saint John or Fredericton and care about your community!

Why you should join us!
• Pitch your community solution for the opportunity to win $5K in seed funding
• Develop a concept for a community solution that could have a real impact
• Receive training on design thinking
• Strengthen and contribute your social justice, anti-oppression, and decolonization lens to community support
• Connect with and learn from community leaders, practitioners, and organizers
• Develop work-ready skills and build your resume with a unique experience
• Build your teamwork, leadership, problem-solving, and project management skills

How you’ll spend your 8-10hrs/week:
• Weekly 2 hr. Virtual trainings with the Evergreen team
• Weekly meetings with your team and assigned Community Mentor
• Interviewing community members and professionals with knowledge related to your project
• Doing secondary research to inform your solution
• Setting up a strong project management and teamwork structure with support from the Evergreen team
• Developing a strong, memorable pitch for Pitch Night

About You:

You are eligible for this role if you meet the following criteria:
• Live, study, or work in Moncton, Sackville, Saint John, or Fredericton
• Are between 18-29 years of age
• Are able to dedicate 8-10 hours/week between October 2022 & February 2023, with breaks that align with post-secondary exam schedules
• Are comfortable with English and/or American Sign Language as a primary mode of communication
• Are available Wednesday evenings from 6pm-8pm AST for live virtual sessions
• You self-identify as unemployed, underemployed and/or in beginning stages of career-related work; this includes individuals that identify as one or more of the following:
• Unemployed (not currently working);
• In full or part-time studies and looking for experiential opportunities;
• Underemployed (part-time work, gig work, not working in your area of study); and/or
• In beginning stages of career-related work (full-time or part-time).

Additional Information:

This is a virtual program and takes place over Zoom. This program is delivered in English, with translation services available in American Sign Language. Accompanying resources may be provided in English and French as required.

Key Dates:
• Thursday, September 15th, 2022, 11:59pm AST – Applications close
• October 2022 – February 2023 – Future City Builders program

Compensation:

There is no participant compensation for this program.

Access:

Applicants who face financial/socio-economic barriers to participating in a volunteer program may apply for an Evergreen service access micro-grant issued by Evergreen. The service access micro-grant includes two payments made mid-way through and at the end of the Future City Builders program. It subsidizes involvement in the program based on need. Should you require this subsidy, please indicate this on your application and we will work together with you to support your participation.

Evergreen encourages applications from persons of diverse backgrounds. Our team recognizes the systemic barriers faced by BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, People of colour) populations in professional urban planning and design thinking environments. We are committed to providing a space where BIPOC community members can thrive through access support, community consultation, recognizing histories and systemic oppression, welcoming feedback and openness to change.

Application Close Date: Thursday, September 15th, 2022

Apply to become a Future City builder here!

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/991256

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca