[e-drive][WORKSHOPS: CALGARY]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Wed Dec 5 15:53:04 EST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Upcoming Artist PD Opportunities At the EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts
205 – 8th Avenue, SE
Calgary, Alberta
T2G 0K9

Come and join us for the lively discussion, the insights and the FUN!!!  Be
sure to share this information with anyone who might be interested in these
programs.
To register for any of these courses call 403-294-7455 ext. 1458.

Series 2: The Joy of the Curriculum
Cost:  $20.00 per workshop or $50.00 for any series of three (GST included).
This series opens the door on the JOY that is the Alberta curriculum.  We
will be given a glimpse into the magic of the curriculum disciplines so that
we will be better equipped to partner with teachers who come to us looking
to infuse the arts into an already exciting exploration of discovery.

Language Arts
(Primary and Middle School)
Friday, January 25, 2002
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Presenter:  Shelley Robinson

Math
(Primary and Middle School)
Friday, February 1, 2002
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Presenter: Lois Marchand

Science
(Primary and Middle School
Friday, February 8, 2002
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Presenter:  TBA

Social Science/Humanities
(Primary and Middle School)
Friday, February 22, 2002
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Presenter: Sherry Martens

Series 3:  Special Topics
Cost:  $20.00 per workshop or $50.00 for the series of three (GST included).

Creative Energy
Friday, January 18, 2002
1:00 – 3:00 PM
Presenters:  Ivy Hoffman and Maria Kliavkoff
Come explore electricity and conservation using the arts!  Play with the
teacher activity sheets EPCOR has created for teachers, and learn fun and
engaging ways to apply the arts to the teaching of this curriculum for
grades 3, 4, and 5.

Culture and Arts Education
Tuesday, January 22, 2002
4:30 – 6:30 PM
Presenter:  Maria Kliavkoff, Director Education EPCOR CENTRE
Given recent world events, this course is timely and crucial.  How do we use
the arts when teaching culture?  What defines art and what defines culture?
The arts are an exciting way to explore and communicate who we are to the
world, but how do we use art to learn about others?  Join us for a lively
conversation that will include artists and teachers in brainstorming ways to
explore these issues and develop practical classroom applications.

Journaling in the Classroom
Tuesday, January 29th, 2002
4:30-6:30pm
Presenter:  Cathy Cochrane
Journal writing allows students to be at the very centre of their inquiry
and reflection.   Reflective writing that takes place throughout the school
year becomes a powerful tool for connecting and changing ideas; it is a
language-based medium that can be used to paint a landscape of learning.

To register for any of these courses call 403-294-7455 ext. 1458.

Building Classroom Culture II
Monday, January 28, 2002
6:00 – 8:00 PM
Presenter: Sherry Martens
Cost: $20.00
This session is a follow up on motivating students to learn.  It will focus
on how we work with different kinds of students in a learning situation.  We
will look at specific strategies in dealing with classroom management issues
as well as setting up for instructional success.

The Business of Being an Artist Series

Grant Writing 101
Friday, December 14, 2001
1:00 – 4:00 PM
Presenter:  Hayden Trenholm
Cost: $30.00

Discover the 3 steps of successful grant writing and the role research
plays.  Answer those questions that plague all of us: What do they really
want, and who makes the decisions and how?  You will also practice creating
and critiquing a proposal and learn about sources of funding.

Hayden Trenholm is a writer, researcher, consultant, artist and arts
administrator with extensive experience in grants writing and grant
application assessment.  As an artist he has obtained numerous grants for
himself and his affiliated organizations, including Alberta Playwrights
Network, Northern Arts and Culture Centre, and Dandelion Magazine.  As the
Program Facilitator for CAPES, he designed and administers the ArtsSmarts
granting program in Calgary.  In addition to grant writing, Mr. Trenholm has
raised funds for political parties, the National Symposium for Arts
Education, CAPES and several other arts organizations. He has also taken
part in grants administration or review for the City of Halifax, United Way,
Northern Arts And Culture Centre, the Government of the NWT and Alberta
Foundation for the Arts.

Hayden Trenholm is a novelist and short fiction writer, and has published 1
novel and 8 short stories. He has had 4 professionally produced plays plus 4
self-produced productions, and he has twice been the artistic director of
community theatre companies.  Mr. Trenholm is a non-equity actor and
director with over 20 stage credits.  He has worked in municipal,
territorial and federal governments as well as the non-profit sector.  Born
in Nova Scotia and having lived in New Brunswick, Ontario, Nunavut, NWT, and
Alberta Hayden has, over the years, sat on more then 10 Boards of Directors
mostly in the arts sector.

To register call 403-294-7455 ext. 1458

The Business of Being an Artist Series

Preparing Portfolios
Thursday, January 17, 2002
6:00 – 9:00 PM
Presenter: Diane Burroughes, M.A.
Cost:  $30.00
As an artist, it is in your best interest to present yourself in the most
professional way possible.  Your portfolio is a professional tool that shows
people your skills, talents and accomplishments. An effective portfolio can
give you a competitive edge and creates opportunities for success. Let Diane
help you to kick your portfolio up a notch or two.

Diane has been working for 20 years as a coach, facilitator and designer of
new programs, and as faculty at various colleges. Over the last four years
she has worked with over 400 artists in Alberta, British Columbia and
Ontario, assisting them in increasing their success.  Diane brings a wealth
of knowledge and a highly developed intuitive capacity to her life’s work.
“The portfolio you helped me design got me the position which evolved into
VP of a major dot.com in the construction industry. Both personally and
professionally, Diane helped me find and bulldoze the impediments that were
getting in my way - presentation, focus, and clarity on where I wanted to
be. I left with an action plan and portfolio that opened doors and closed
deals.”  David Buckland

To register call 403-294-7455 ext. 1458

Artist Afternoons at the Auburn

So you want a place where you can get together with other artists working in
the classroom to tell stories, discuss concerns, ideas and inspiration.  The
EPCOR CENTRE and the Auburn Saloon are partnering to offer just such a
gathering place with happy hour prices.  Beginning in September and running
through May, the second Thursday of every month from 3 to 5 PM will be
Artist Afternoons at the Auburn, just around the corner from the EPCOR
CENTRE.  Come and join us for a glass of inspiration and good cheer.

Upcoming dates to come and get together:

December 13, 2001
January 10, 2002
February 14, 2002
March 14, 2002