[e-drive][WORKSHOPS: CALGARY]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Mon Dec 10 09:40:03 EST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Theatre Alberta Presents
Dramaworks Calgary

January 25-28 2002

Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts
Downtown Calgary

MORE Theatre Workshops for People Who Love Theatre

For more info or to register:call 1-888-422-8160 or visit our website at
www.theatrealberta.com

Theatre Alberta is thrilled to present our second Dramaworks Calgary. For
the past decade we have offered Dramaworks each July in Edmonton - but our
Calgary and southern Alberta members continued to ask for something  closer
to home- you asked for it - and we¹re happy to deliver it for you!

Our line-up of workshops provides something for all levels of theatre
experience - we have programmed a master class for professionals, courses
for drama teachers, community theatre participants and emerging
professionals.  We¹re proud to present some of Canada¹s leading theatre
professionals to instruct, and we know if this is your first experience with
Theatre Alberta¹s programs, you won¹t be disappointed.

Come, learn, visit, share, laugh - and enjoy some of the best theatre
workshops available in the province. Theatre Alberta is proud to present
³MORE Theatre Workshops For People Who Love Theatre².

Magic of Mask in the Classroom with Greg Dowler-Coltman $80
1 Day: Friday January 25 2002

"The great magic of the mask, which every actor receives from it, is that he
can't tell what impression he is making -- and yet he knows." -Peter Brook

Masks have always been a powerful tool for the performer in the discovery of
character; their strength in a classroom lies in their ability to both
embrace and protect the young performer as they explore the movement,
gesture and in some cases, voice of the character. Through active
exploration this session will introduce participants to a variety of
approaches to this work. Come ready to play!

Words First: Teaching Playwriting with Clem Martini $80.00
1 Day: Saturday January 26 2002

The art of playwriting lies in capturing specific moments of conflicting
desires. This workshop will examine this particular process and have
participants write a short scene.  In the afternoon, a number of writing
exercises which are especially effective for students of playwriting will be
introduced and explored.

The Essential Stage Manager with Rhonda Kambeitz $80
1 Day: Saturday January 26 2002

Experience this "panic-reducing" overview of good stage management.
Participants will be introduced to the responsibilities of stage management,
and those of the production team. The body of the course will concentrate on
prep week and how that prepares you for rehearsals, notes, production
meetings, technical rehearsals, and level sessions - everything that leads
to opening night.

Extending Voice with Jane MacFarlane  $160
2 Days: Saturday January 26 and Sunday January 27 2002

This class offers a unique opportunity for in depth freeing and extending of
the voice. Participants will start with a basic exploration of the anatomy
and physiology of the voice, and identify habits that inhibit the free
release of breath. Work will then progress to  building a strong connection
between breath support and forward placement; techniques explored will be
applied to text work.  Please come prepared with a memorized sonnet.

Monologues: Image and Language with Scott Swan $160
2 Days: Saturday January 26 to Sunday January 27 2002

Learn how to accept imperfection in performance, expand your creativity and
free your consciousness when acting.  You will be introduced to a
fascinating technique for remembering images rather than lines, thereby
freeing you from the anxiety of memorization.  Participants will learn how
to break performance patterns of telegraphing and anticipating, and thereby
make their acting more truthful.

Acting Technique for the Camera with Francis Damberger $160
1 1/2  Days: Sunday January 27 and Monday January 28 2002

Improve your chances of getting cast in film and TV. This is an active
workshop with opportunity for you to work in front of the camera and receive
immediate feedback  from an experienced film director. Using sides, you will
explore and focus on the techniques required for camera acting. Actors will
also be lead through a discovery process to find their comfort zone. This
workshop is intended for Equity and ACTRA members only. Class size limited
to 12 maximum.