[e-drive][WORKSHOP: TORONTO]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Mon Dec 10 15:48:03 EST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Searching for Hana:
Exploration For the Vocally Inquisitive
Kate Hennig - Instructor

I'm back in Toronto, and looking for people interested in working with me.
After a very inspiring year of theatre study, I am looking forward to
sharing and developing a thread of work that I became fascinated by while in
England. This work is aimed at professional actors who have solid voice
skills, and are looking for input, inspiration, and exploration of the
voice's limitless potential. It's fun, hard, and stimulating! What more
could you ask?

The work focuses on developing "vocal presence" through four principles of
practice:

Awareness:  connecting the voice, the body, and the mind through
personal observation and reflection

Effort:  accessing vocal release through physical exertion

Form:  accessing vocal expression through a controlled physical,
literary, or rhythmic framework

Integration:  integrating the voice, body, intuition, and intellect with
acting exercises and text

Exercises are derived and adapted from many sources including concepts of
the Noh theatre, The Roy Hart Theatre, Joseph Chaikin, Frankie Armstrong,
Tadashi Suzuki and Eugenio Barba.

Hana is a term from the Noh theatre. Literally it means "Flower".
Metaphorically it is "an achievement of the highest critical standard,
representing the ultimate in physical, vocal, and spiritual technique".
It is a "means to give rise to the unexpected in the hearts of the
audience". It is "essence;" a distillation, a crystallizing of experience
(from the Foreword of On the Art of the No Drama pg. x,xi , the Treatises of
Zeami)

If this work seems interesting to you, please call me at 416-366-5980 or
email at miskate at netcom.ca. Once I know there is interest, I will set up an
introductory class at Equity Showcase. Priority will be given to Equity
members.

Kate Hennig has just completed her dissertation for an M.A. in Voice Studies
at the Central School of Speech and Drama in London, England. She is a
professional actor with twenty years of experience on stage and in film. She
has trained extensively in voice, movement and acting with such teachers as
Patsy Rodenburg, Andrew Wade, Kevin Crawford, Janine Pearson, Kelly
McKevenue, and Mark Christmann.