[e-drive][FORUM: TORONTO]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Sat Nov 3 16:03:03 EST 2001

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Going Hollywood? Globalization and Culture

Wednesday November 14, 7:30-9:30 pm
Admission is Free:  first come first seated, capacity 500
St. Lawrence Centre for the Arts
27 Front Street East,  Toronto
(2 blks S of King subway, 1 blk E of Yonge)

Culture is linked to identity, language, faith and social values.  It is one
of the least discussed trade issues, but artistic expression is on the table
at the World Trade Organization this fall. As an alternative to the
homogenizing influences of multi-national entertainment industries, cultural
workers are encouraging a global exchange between diverse cultures. Both
France and Canada say we need an international pact. Join Canadian artists
and producers to discuss the impact of globalization on our cultural
reality.

Is cultural diversity threatened by a global mono-culture?
What can we learn about cultural survival from the Aboriginal and Quebec
experience?
Is it possible to legislate the evolution of culture?

Panel:
jian ghomeshi: musician, writer, producer, and member of Moxy Fruvous.
TBA, International Network for Cultural Diversity, a network of over 400
cultural organizations from 52 countries.
Ana Serrano: Director of h at bitat, the new media training facility at Norman
Jewison's Canadian Film Centre.
Rebeka Tabobondung: poet, filmmaker and community activist with the
Wasauksing First Nation.
Judith Thompson: playwright and writer in residence for CanStage; two time
winner of the Governor General's Award and the Chalmers Award.

The Honourable Sheila Copps, Minister of Canadian Heritage has been invited
to Moderate.

Listen Live! in real time on Wednesday Nov 14, between 17:30-9:30 pm with
Real Player. Full details on audio page.
http://www.stlc.com/forums/forums.htm