[e-drive][WORKSHOP: EQUITY DISCOUNT, TORONTO]

Patricia Joyce editor at caea.com
Wed Apr 24 12:29:03 EDT 2002

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Searching for Hana: Exploration for the Vocally Inquisitive
with Kate Hennig

This series consists of thematically structured classes which focus on
training our intuitive connection (rather than the  analytical with
which we
are more familiar) with voice for the theatre. It is a physically based
approach which analyses and synthesizes the work of the mind, body, and
voice in expression and communication.

Hana is a term from the Noh theatre. Literally it means "Flower".
Metaphorically it is "an achievement of the highest critical standard,
representing the ultimate in physical, vocal, and spiritual technique".
It is a "means to give rise to the unexpected in the hearts of the
audience". It is "essence"; a distillation, a crystallizing of
experience.

I am a "senior artist" with over twenty years and over 70 productions
under
my belt. I have an MA in Voice Studies from the Central School of Speech
and
Drama in London England. I teach and coach through my company "Vocate",
and
I continue to work as an actor and director, as well as a teacher.

Here is a quote from a student:

"Thanks again for the wonderful two days. I appreciate the role you take
as
a teacher immensely. You're able to share information and instruct at
the
same time you're able to appreciate the discoveries of the moment, which
is
rare in a teacher. I also found the synthesis of body, mind, spirit
tremendously helpful ... The workshops  provided me with additional
tools to
explore text as well as methods of integrating breath and movement.
Truly
had a great time, and love the opportunity to play and learn." - Larry
Smith, actor

I have booked the Guild Room at Equity Showcase for the following
classes (see the course outline below for further description of
classes):

May 4, Saturday from 1:30 to 4pm  - Hana 1: Energy
May 5, Sunday from 1:30 to 4pm - Hana 2: Element
May 11, Saturday from 1:30 to 4pm - Hana 3: Structure
May 12, Sunday from 1:30 to 4pm - Hana 4: Rhythm

Please note that you must take Hana 1 as an introduction to the work,
then you can drop in to the other classes in any order (though you must
book
a place through me).

The fee schedule is as follows:

Equity Rates
For those who make under $25,000.00 a year - $20.00 + GST
For those who make over  $25,000.00 a year - $30.00 + GST

Non-Equity Rate
$25.00 + GST

Each fourth class you take with me is only $10.00 + GST

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to be in touch.

Cheers,
Kate Hennig
416-366-5980
miskate at netcom.ca

Searching for Hana: Course Outline (This is pretty loose, and subject to
change, but it gives you an idea.)

The work is based around exercises of Roy Hart, Michael Chekov, Joseph
Chaikin, Tadashi Suzuki, Eugenio Barba, Frankie Armstrong, and more.

Hana 1: Energy (Introductory class)
Exploring vocal energy as it relates to
involvement and limitations of the body and the mind.

Hana 2: Element
Exploring the interrelationship of vocal expression with the
four elements in terms of physical and mental energy.

Hana 3: Structure
Exploring the three unit structure of the Noh theatre and
its application to breath, sound, and dialogue.

Hana 4: Rhythm
Exploring aspects of rhythm and song in vocal expression.

Hana 5: Awareness
Exploring a detailed awareness of the interrelatedness
of movement and sound through individual and group dynamics.

Hana 6: Form
Exploring the impact of specific physical and literary form on
vocal expression and communication.

Hana 7: Isolation
Exploring vocal expression and communication through
physical isolation and restriction.

Hana 8: Connection
Exploring vocal expression and communication in physical
and verbal dialogue.

Hana 9: Source
Exploring both internal (emotional/psychological) and
external (physical/situational) sources of vocal expression and
communication.

Hana 10: Presence
Exploring the metaphysical in vocal expression.

copyright 2002: Kate Hennig