[e-drive][GRANTS: ONTARIO]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Wed Feb 27 15:51:03 EST 2002

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

News Release
Communiqué

151 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1T6
Telephone (416) 961-1660
Fax (416) 921-8763
Toll-Free 1-800-387-0058

151, rue Bloor ouest
Toronto (Ontario) M5S 1T6
Téléphone 416) 961-1660
Télécopieur (416) 921-8763
Sans frais 1-800-387-0058

Ontario Arts Council Launches New Chalmers Program

Toronto, February 26, 2002 —   The Ontario Arts Council (OAC)  today
announced the long-awaited details of its new Chalmers Program.    The
Chalmers Program replaces the Chalmers Awards, which drew to a close on May
14, 2001, when arts patron Joan Chalmers, C.C., O. Ont., announced it was
time to change the way the Chalmers Fund supported artists.

“When Floyd Chalmers established the Chalmers Fund at the OAC in 1979, he
wanted to strengthen the arts and encourage innovation.   We have created
the new Chalmers Program in the spirit of Floyd’s original legacy.   I want
to commend Joan Chalmers for her fearlessness and her vision in encouraging
OAC to do what her father did – to respond to the needs of the arts
community,” said John Brotman, Executive Director.

The new program is divided into two components:  the Chalmers Arts
Fellowships support arts professionals whose projects are arts research,
exploration or experimentation or whose projects are focused on the creation
or development of new work.  Ontario arts professionals may apply for a
fellowship to a maximum of $50,000.

The Chalmers Professional Development Grants support individual arts
professionals who wish to undertake apprenticeships, residencies, intensive
seminars, or specialized training in their fields.  Ontario arts
professionals may apply for a grant up to $15,000.

“OAC hosted a series of consultation sessions at which numerous ideas for
the design of the new program were put forward,” explained Brotman.   “I am
happy to say that the result is a program that is both flexible and
equitable.”

The two deadlines for both components are June 15, 2002 and January 15,
2003.  Applicants may only apply to one program component at a time.  Arts
organizations are not eligible for this program.  Applications for the new
Chalmers Program are now available on the OAC Web site at  www.arts.on.ca

- 30 -

For more information, please contact:
Kirsten Gunter, OAC Communications (416) 969-7403 or toll free in Ontario at
1-800-387-0058 ext.7403 or email kgunter at arts.on.ca

Ce document existe également en français.