[e-drive][2002 CANADIAN THEATRE CONFERENCE]

Patricia Joyce patricia at caea.com
Fri Jun 14 14:00:05 EDT 2002

~~~~~~~~~~ e-drive ~~~~~~~~~~

Visit: www.theatreconference.ca for the full text of conference speeches
and presentations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 14, 2002
For immediate release
National conference tackles hot issues in Canadian theatre

Ottawa, Ontario - Is culture becoming a market commodity ruled by the
"bottom line"? How do we define cultural diversity in artistic practice,
and how can we protect and promote it? What is the relationship between
politics and theatre? How can artists persuade government and funding
agencies that Canadian theatre is just as sexy as Canadian film and
television, and what are the most effective means of advocacy? Why do
people continue to work in theatre despite the historically low pay,
poor working conditions, and small audiences?

These were some of the provocative issues raised at the second national
Canadian Theatre Conference, held in Ottawa May 29 through June 1. The
event brought together over 300 English-language theatre professionals
from every region of the country and every aspect of the industry -
playwrights, actors, directors, designers, technicians, general
managers, stage managers and administrators - to discuss shared concerns
and help shape the future of Canadian theatre.

At the conference closing session, independent rapporteur Tom McSorley
(theatre critic for CBC Radio One in Ottawa, and Director of the
Canadian Film Institute) noted that the Canadian theatre community faces
some tough challenges, including how and why to make theatre. The
purpose of this national gathering, McSorley concluded, was not
necessarily to find answers but to think of ways to ask better questions
- of ourselves, of our audiences, and of our theatre critics.

A working group made up of representatives of the conference partner
organizations will follow up on these and other issues raised during the
conference, and explore ways to bring them to the attention of
appropriate bodies.

Conference highlights included an opening reception on Parliament Hill
attended by Heritage Minister Sheila Copps; a keynote speech by
award-winning creator, writer and director Daniel Brooks; and the
presentation of the Ontario Arts Council's 2002 John Hirsch Director's
Award to Jennifer Tarver, Toronto-based director, producer, playwright
and performer.

In his keynote address, Daniel Brooks spoke about how society's
voracious obsession with speed and efficiency has compromised artistic
quality, love of the product, and the meaning and dignity of work in the
theatre. Lamenting the pressures of trying to create truly powerful
theatre in only three to four weeks of rehearsal, Brooks said, "The
essential problem in our theatres is lack of time. If I were to ask the
people who work behind the scenes in Canadian theatre for one thing, it
would be to take this plea for more time to heart, and consider
seriously whether or not we actually do squander some of the beauty that
is theatrical time."
The Canadian Theatre Conference was organized jointly by Associated
Designers of Canada (ADC), Canadian Actors' Equity Association (CAEA),
the Canadian Institute for Theatre Technology (CITT), Playwrights Union
of Canada (PUC), and the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres
(PACT). The host venue was the National Arts Centre.

The partner associations gratefully acknowledge the support of Human
Resources Development Canada (Labour-Management Partnerships Program)
and the Canada Council for the Arts.

The next Canadian Theatre Conference will be held in 2006.

For detailed information, including speaking notes and post-conference
reports, visit the Canadian Theatre Conference Web site at
www.theatreconference.ca.

- 30 -

Information:
Diana Tyndale, Publicity & Media Relations Coordinator
Piranha Communications (Ottawa)
Tel. (613) 233 0666 / Fax (613) 233 5153
E-mail dtyndale at piranha.net