[e-drive][TICKETS: EQUITY DISCOUNT, TORONTO]

Kaethe Yanovsky kaethe at caea.com
Thu Jun 26 12:19:04 EDT 2003

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~e-drive~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Best to get over a guy by getting under a new one

LEATRICE SPEVACK
SPECIAL TO THE STAR

"There's a time in a woman's life when she's not in love, when she's not
in a relationship, when she doesn't have a boyfriend or a husband, when
she hasn't taken a lover," begins Anne Marie Scheffler in the Tim Sims
Playhouse's second mounting of Not Getting It. "I mean who takes a
lover?" she asks, "maybe the French."

Not Getting It explores, in tragicomedy style, one woman's search for
fulfillment. The problem for this particular 30-something gal is how to
handle that modern female conundrum: it's not easy being easy. Not when
you're at your sexual peak and wanting a wedding at the same time.

Scheffler, a Second City alumnus, is a regular on the Men's Channel's
flagship show Real Men and counts among her credits appearances on Queer
As Folk and Due South in addition to boasting a lengthy list of Fringe
theatre hits.

In Not Getting It Scheffler simply sparkles. This is dead-on dating
drama - with laughs - punctuated by snippets of songs courtesy of the
enormously talented Duff MacDonald, who comes close at times to
outshining the show's star with his spins on ditties that span Broadway
to Blondie.

A series of sexual fantasies and a string of scenes, played out in the
style of The Dating Game with actor Adrian Churchill (and sometimes
MacDonald), are woven through Scheffler's monologues as she looks for
love in all the wrong faces.

Lascivious lads offer little commitment and the language at times gets
so graphic it causes Scheffler to wonder, "Should I call the police or
just accept the compliment?"

Yes, yes, this is men behaving badly, but Not Getting It is brutally
honest in terms of the mixed messages delivered by marriage-minded
ladies gussied up in their leopard skin push-up bras and four inch heels
and all too ready to get liquored up on costly cocktails.

"I want the guy to f--- me but respect me too much to do it," she says.

Scheffler is clearly after a good time despite her drive for something
more serious. Female logic becomes oxymoronic as we see her struggle to
meet the needs of her biological clock and her more prurient - or is
that pure? - fleshy desires.

"I don't think I'm the only one who equates sexual freedom with a little
bit of alcohol," she confesses.

Not Getting It is the ultimate date show for folks in their 20s and 30s.
A truth-telling of the first order, it will have guys leaning over to
ask their female companions, "Do you really do/think that?" Uh, yeah.

In one scene, Scheffler tries to convince herself that her current
relationship is the real thing because, "We're having sex every day and
if that's not love, I don't know what is."

Pausing, she adds, "Yes, it is. Yes, it is."

Needless to say, it isn't and she gets dumped. Frustrated and angry, she
remains philosophical, "The best way to get over a guy is to get under a
new one." And so the cycle begins anew.

There is good writing here despite some triteness (a surprise visit by a
handsome plumber, interactions between teacher/student, boss/secretary).

After a sold out run of Not Getting It in January, Scheffler shopped a
tape around town. It was picked up by Sandra Faire Productions for the
Comedy Network and is set to shoot on the Mike Bullard set and air in
January, 2004.

Post show, Scheffler reveals that the TV version will not include
MacDonald - difficulties over "rights", she explains. All the more
reason to see it live - where, frankly, comedy and theatre are best seen
anyway.

Just the facts
What:  Not Getting It
Written & Performed by Anne Marie Scheffler
Directed by Michael McGinn, Musical Direction by Michael Barber
With Adrian Churchill, Duff MacDonald, Rob Thaller, Steve Thomas
Where: Tim Sims Playhouse, 56 Blue Jays Way
When: Thurs., June 26 9pm,  Fri., June 27 9pm & 11pm, Sat., June 28,
10:30pm

Tickets: $20, ($15 for Equity Members, Please show card) call
416-343-0011

Anne Marie's sell-out, hit show Not Getting It is back!
At the Tim Sims Playhouse June 19th - 28th. Don't miss it!
Visit  www.notgettingit.com  and www.annemariescheffler.com for more
info!