[e-drive][CAEA Response to Article by Martin Knelman - Update]

Chris Blanchenot chris at caea.com
Thu Oct 14 16:49:11 EDT 2004

CAEA Response to Article by Martin Knelman - Update

On Saturday, October 9 the Toronto Star newspaper, in covering the
closing of the Mirvish production of "Hairspray", included an article by
columnist, Martin Knelman which sought to blame the closing on Canadian
Actors' Equity Association.

The Toronto Star has not posted Mr. Knelman's original article on their
website, though other recent articles by him are available. CAEA was
denied permission to reprint the article but have been allowed to quote
the relevant sections on our website (www.caea.com).

CAEA Executive Director, Susan Wallace wrote a response which was sent
to our members and to the "Letters to the Editor," urging them to print
our rebuttal since the Association had not been given the opportunity to
respond and had not even been contacted by the author for our comment
prior to the article appearing. To this point The Star has not chosen to
print her comments.

Please visit the CAEA website at www.caea.com for the Knelman excerpts
and the full text of our reply.

Canadian Actors' Equity Association