[e-drive] E-DRIVE [WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 1]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Fri Apr 1 15:24:19 EST 2005

Please direct all responses and inquiries directly to the theatre or association listed in the e-drive notice below.

WORKSHOP DIGEST FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 1
1. MASTER CLASSES WITH SCOTT SWAN - VANCOUVER
2. INTRODUCTION TO CLOWN - TORONTO
3. SOUL-O THEATRE - TORONTO
4. SCENE STUDY WITH GILLES PLOUFFE

1. MASTER CLASSES WITH SCOTT SWAN - VANCOUVER
SESSIONS BEGIN:  April 4, 2005
DATES: 8 WEEKS
DURATION: EACH CLASS IS 3 HOURS
TIMES: MONDAY, TUESDAY AND THURSDAY DAY AND EVENING CLASSES AVAILABLE
WHERE: THE MUSIC BOX STUDIO 1564 ARGYLE AVENUE,  WEST VANCOUVER
CONTACT: SCOTT 604-773-4130 OR YVETTE 604-467-8486
EMAIL scottswan at shaw.ca OR yvette at yvettedudleyneuman.com
COST: EQUITY $430.00 NON EQUITY $550.00 G.S.T included
These professional classes are specifically designed to augment actors' abilities and challenge their preconceptions by providing them with series of exercises and strategies to make them more relaxed, confident and present in the work. By learning how to absorb the text as a series of images and events, and by discovering how to release the fear that surrounds the retention of the text, the actor is freed to place his or her concentration and awareness on the components of the given circumstances: the other actors, the environment, and their own interior landscape.

a.. Introduction to Technique
b.. Film
c.. Auditioning
d.. Shakespeare
e.. Singing
The Art of Directing Workshop is beginning:
Wednesday April 6th
6:30 - 9:30 pm
Location: Maple Ridge
Duration; 8 weeks, Wednesdays
To register please call or email
604-467-8486

BIOGRAPHY: SCOTT SWAN has been a theatre director and teacher for over thirty years and has won numerous awards for his work. He was the Founding Artistic Director of Northern Light theatre in Edmonton and the Artistic Director of Festival Lennoxville in Quebec. He has directed at most of the major regional theatres in Canada including The National Arts Centre, the Shaw Festival, the Vancouver Playhouse, and Bard on the Beach. He also has been asked to direct at Stratford and has had two shows optioned for Broadway. He has served as a National Radio Drama Producer for C.B.C. acted in a number of plays films, and television productions and written for the stage and television.

2. INTRODUCTION TO CLOWN - TORONTO
In this two-day workshop you will explore your clown and discover your own unique sense of humour.  What makes you ridiculous, loveable and compelling. The clown is you unmasked. Your idiosyncratic, ridiculous, vulnerable, contrary you.
Through improvisation and games you will enter the world of play and discover how to have immediate contact with your audience, how to expose the ridiculous in yourself and how to become a channel for the unexpected. You will explore the vocabulary of the clown, understand why something is funny or not and learn how to follow an impulse to its fullest.
An innate musicality will emerge when the thought and desire of the clown is revealed and vulnerability is uncovered.

Edith Tankus has studied and performed with world re-known clown directors Sue Morrison, Mike Kennard and John Turner of Mump and Smoot as well as with Dean Gilmour and Philippe Gaulier . She is an alumni of  L'Ecole Jacques Lecoq's International School of Physical Theatre in Paris. Her shows have toured across North America in theatre and fringe festivals, garnering a  "Best Actress" Award and playing to sold out houses and rave reviews.  She has co-written and starred in  "Tucked Into Bedlam" a CBC Opening Night film, starring internationally acclaimed clown Tomas Kubinek, which was nominated for a Genie for Best Film. She regularly performs with Zero Gravity Circus and has  worked in collaboration creating and premiering  new work with Cirque Sublime.  As artist in residence at the  Chester Playhouse in Nova Scotia she has lead workshops in clown to their resident companies and general public.

When:	Saturday May 28th & Sunday May. 29th 2005
Times:	11am - 5pm (both days)
Where:HART HOUSE University of Toronto
	7 Hart House Circle, East Commons Rm
Price:	$185 Regular
	$145 (CAEA, CADA, ACTRA)
Contact:Edith Tankus, (tel) 416.536.0186
	edithtankus at hotmail.com
**CLASS SIZE IS LIMITED**
**NON-PERFORMERS ARE WELCOME**

3. SOUL-O THEATRE - TORONTO
with
Tracey Erin Smith

Create a mini one-person show based on material from your own life!

Everything that happens to you is potential material, from both the details of your daily life to the epic moments that changed everything.
Whether you want to develop a full length solo play, or you just want a fantastic creative challenge this workshop will guide you. Using music, movement and improvisation allowing the writing and performing to be organic. Discover a way into your story.

Have you said this?

* I\'d love a creative kick in the butt to start my solo show!
* Where can I do it in a supportive & fun environment?
* I have an idea but how do I get started?

Ms. Smith is a Jessie Richardson Award nominated actor, theatre instructor at Ryerson University and Artist in Residence in New Hampshire who teaches SOUL-O THEATRE in Canada & the U.S.   Tracey has performed her one woman show; "I Wanna Marry Jackie Mason!", in Vancouver, Toronto and New York City.

Course dates:
Mondays\' April 18th to May 30th
6:30pm-9:30pm
Fee: $235.00
*20% Discount for Equity members: $188.00
$50 deposit required to secure your spot.

CONTACT:  cre8_tv at yahoo.com   (416) 410-7923 TraceyErinSmith.com
------------------------------------

4. SCENE STUDY WITH GILLES PLOUFFE
(Introduction to John Strasberg's "Organic Creative Process" for the actor)
One (1) night a week - Four (4) weeks - 5 hours a night - Maximum 10 participants
$175.00 (Equity members $140.00)
Starting Wednesdays April 6th &/or May 4th
Location: 1258 Bélanger St, Montreal, Québec.
Information/registration: 514-272-9430

GILLES PLOUFFE is an experienced professional working actor in theatre, film & television. He has studied many years with Mr. Strasberg and has also taught acting at ACTRA, the National Screen Institute, the Algonquin College Theatre Program, Dynamic Theatre Factory and Theatre North America.

THE ORGANIC CREATIVE PROCESS
My Organic Creative Process evolves from where the Method, other systems, and the great teachers like Stanislavski, my father and Stella Adler, left off. I define, and train Talent, Imagination, Intuition and Spontaneous Inspiration, the Natural Laws of Creativity that remained a mystical, invisible world to teachers before me. My basic training develops the actor's knowledge of him/her self. Beginning with, and developing from, your natural capacity to become deeply involved, an actor dreams awake, creating a new life, from real and imaginary life. You make the invisible world visible; expressing your, intuitive and conscious, vision of life in your art. Because, an artist has something to say about life.

44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor