[e-drive] [EQUIFLASH - MARCH 27 IS WORLD THEATRE DAY]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Thu Mar 24 11:10:38 EST 2005

EQUIFLASH - MARCH 27 IS WORLD THEATRE DAY
On March 27 Canada will join more than ninety countries around the world
in celebrating the powerful and passionate nature of theatre.

Created in 1961 by the International Theatre Institute (ITI) and the
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
(UNESCO), World Theatre Day is celebrated annually on the 27th of March
by the international theatre community.

This year the ITI has selected French theatre Director Ariane Mnouchkine
to author the International Message, traditionally written by a theatre
personality of world stature. Translated into over twenty languages and
distributed to all nations celebrating World Theatre Day, this message
is published in newspapers and theatre programmes, and recited at events
and theatre performances dedicated to World Theatre Day.

Help!

Theatre, come to my rescue!
I am asleep. Wake me
I am lost in the dark, guide me, at least towards a candle
I am lazy, shame me
I am tired, raise me up
I am indifferent, strike me
I remain indifferent, beat me up
I am afraid, encourage me
I am ignorant, teach me
I am monstrous, make me human
I am pretentious, make me die of laughter
I am cynical, take me down a peg
I am foolish, transform me
I am wicked, punish me.
I am dominating and cruel, fight against me
I am pedantic, make fun of me
I am vulgar, elevate me
I am mute, untie my tongue
I no longer dream, call me a coward or a fool
I have forgotten, throw Memory in my face
I feel old and stale, make the Child in me leap up
I am heavy, give me Music
I am sad, bring me Joy
I am deaf, make Pain shriek like a storm
I am agitated, let Wisdom rise within me
I am weak, kindle Friendship
I am blind, summon all the Lights
I am dominated by Ugliness, bring in conquering Beauty
I have been recruited by Hatred, unleash all the forces of Love.

Further information about World Theatre Day and the International
Theatre Institute can be found at http://www.iti-worldwide.org

44 Victoria Street, 12th Floor