[e-drive] E-DRIVE [AUDITIONS - CALGARY]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Tue Sep 26 14:47:06 EDT 2006

---------------------
AUDITIONS - CALGARY
---------------------
NOTICE OF AUDITION
Vancouver based theatre company, The Only Animal will be holding
auditions on October 16 and 17 for their latest creation project NIX.
NIX will be workshopped at Alberta Theatre Projects from February
27th-March 4th, launching a four-year development cycle that includes a
proposed production in Calgary culminating in production during the
lead-up to 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics. Kendra Fanconi, Co-Artistic
Director of The Only Animal, will direct the project. This site-specific
play will be set on an ice-skating rink in a large snow dome with a set
of snow and ice.

NIX starts at the moment the world ends. Our run-away society has done
just that, up-and-run, taking everything with it. We are in the
emptiness left behind. A bitter ice age sets in. A few survivors
struggle through the snow and settle in a snowdrift. They begin to
create a new world. Enter the Arsonist, driven to bring things to a
bitter end once and for all...

We are seeking Calgary-based actors who are physically trained, with
strong acting skills, and musical sensibility, and inclination for a
long-term creation process. Elements of collective creation and
composition are intrinsic to our work. All-round theatre creators with
the above skills are encouraged to apply.

ROLES:
GIRL: looking for an actress in her 20's who plays young. GIRL is a
scamp, courageous and unflinching. Ability ice-skate and to play wind
instrument a plus.

GARDENER: a steady, sturdy sort, male, 30,s, 40's, or 50's, ability to
play didgeridoo and/or percussion, a plus.

MOTHER: A perpetually pregnant woman, maddened by the state of the
world, and her stubborn fetus. Women, 30's. Ability to play an
instrument and/or percussion a plus.

ARSONIST: A male in 20's or 30's. Explosive temperament, a rebel, with a
cause to end it all. Ability to play a musical instrument a plus.

AUDITIONS:
Auditions will be held in Calgary location TBA.  Auditions are by
invitation only. We will only contact successful applicants for
auditions.  Please send a resume, head shot, and cover letter expressing
your interest/experience in creation-based theatre to:

The Only Animal
Re: NIX Auditions
#1-2608 Ontario St.
Vancouver, BC
V5T 2X9

Please provide an email address. We will contact (by email) select
actors to arrange time and particulars.

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS IS OCTOBER 6th.
The Only Animal is a training-based company that produces original,
often site-specific work, with long development timelines. Check out our
last show at www.otherfreds.com

Equity members will be seen first at all open audition calls. Equity
members cast in this production will be engaged under an Equity form of
contract. CAEA members: please bring your membership card to the
audition.

Toronto, ON  M5C 3C4
www.caea.com