[e-drive] E-DRIVE [MAVOR MOORE MEMORIAL SERVICE - TORONTO]

caea-l at list.web.net caea-l at list.web.net
Mon Apr 23 15:42:02 EDT 2007

--------------------------------------
MAVOR MOORE MEMORIAL SERVICE - TORONTO
--------------------------------------
Canadian theatre artists pay tribute to one of their own
The Last Best Spring Thaw: the Words and Music of Mavor Moore

TORONTO:  On May 7th, some of Canada's finest actors, singers, dancers,
musicians, and directors will gather at the Bluma Appel Theatre for The
Last Best Spring Thaw: the Words and Music of Mavor Moore. It will be a
night for our community to celebrate this remarkable icon of Canadian
arts and culture.

"Our Dad couldn't help creating and he couldn't help helping others to
create. We wanted everyone to hear again just how wonderful his creative
work was," said Tedde Moore. "There will be some of the original players
on stage as well as some of our newest and finest. As Mavor would say,
'It's all in the continuum'."

In the very long list of Mavor Moore's remarkable accomplishments, the
original Spring Thaw was Canada's most successful satirical revue. Begun
in 1948 as an emergency replacement for another play it was a show of
social and political satire combined with song and dance. It was mounted
annually for 24 years and traveled the country from sea to sea.

"Dad touched so many lives," said Charlotte Moore. "We are inviting
everyone who would like to remember him to join us."

The Last Best Spring Thaw: the Words and Music of Mavor Moore will
include pieces and songs from Spring Thaw, his musicals, his plays, CBC
archival footage, as well as personal reminiscences from his colleagues.

Confirmed to appear and/or perform include Spring Thaw originals Don
Harron, Dave Broadfoot and director Leon Major plus Kenneth Welsh,
Cedric Smith, Stephanie Graham, Charlotte Moore, Victor A. Young, Araby
Lockhart, Elaine Campbell, David Smukler, Tedde Moore, Grant Tilly,
Rosalind Moore, Fen Watkin, Professor Joyce Zemans and members of the
ScriptLab Choir with musical direction by Bob Ashley.  Jim Betts and Di
Nyland Proctor will direct and choreograph.

On May 7th, Bluma Appel Theatre will open its doors at 6:30 for a
reception with light refreshments to be followed by a 7:30 p.m.
performance of The Last Best Spring Thaw: the Words and Music of Mavor
Moore.  For more information please go to
www.mavormemorial.spaces.live.com.

Contact: 	Margaret McGann
		2M Communications Inc.
		T: 604-714-1203 E: mamcgann at shaw.ca