[Sust-mar] save the standards of Canadian journalism, and our democracy]

janet at larkman.ca janet at larkman.ca
Tue Feb 15 20:12:46 EST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: Avaaz.org [mailto:avaaz at avaaz.org]

-------------------

Dear friends across Canada,

In 48 hours, public protections against false news coverage could be
destroyed. The CRTC may pass a huge loophole to the "fair and balanced" rule
that currently prevents media from outright lying to the public.

Canada's broadcast journalism standards are an impediment to the new "Fox
News North" (Sun TV) network being set up by Prime Minister Harper's
cronies, which promises to mimic Fox News -- the poisonous US propaganda
network. The CRTC rule change, which allows false news to be blasted across
Canadian airwaves, comes just as SunTV is about to launch.

We can stop this -- last year, we stopped Harper cronies from pressing the
CRTC to fund "Fox News North" with public money. Now, we have just two days
to raise another national outcry to save the standards of Canadian
journalism, and our democracy. Sign the petition below, and tell everyone:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/canada_fair_and_balanced97.php?cl_tta_sign=4e4694913
50d7d3c9a171a33108f9322

The proposed changes to regulations protecting Canadian airwaves would
require any complaint to include proof that the broadcaster knew that the
news was false AND that the lies spread could endanger the lives, health or
safety of the public -- so a journalist could tell any lie they liked as
long it didn't kill or sicken anyone. Proponents within the CRTC are
claiming that this change is in reaction to a Supreme Court decision, but
that ruling was made fifteen years ago and has almost nothing to do with TV
news standards.

Television news is regulated by the CRTC precisely because news that spreads
lies degrades public discourse and destroys the ability of Canadians to cast
an informed vote. These kinds of lies may not directly threaten our lives or
personal security, but they do threaten our country and our democracy.

Avaaz, along with hundreds of other media advocates, has already submitted a
detailed legal argument explaining why the "fair and balanced" rule is
necessary to protect Canadian democracy. A national call to keep the news
honest will focus CRTC attention on the legitimate objections to their
dangerous plan. Sign the petition and forward this email to everyone:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/canada_fair_and_balanced/97.php?cl_tta_sign=4e469491
350d7d3c9a171a33108f9322

Just a few months ago, Canadians prevented government subsidies for "Fox
News North" and helped expose the unethical conduct of its director Kory
Teneycke, Prime Minister Harper's former Communications Director. Now
Harper's cronies are back, and hacking at an essential pillar of our
democracy, the standards that help prevent media from outright lying to the
public. In the next two days we join a long tradition of Canadians who have
built and sustained our democracy in the face of all kinds of threats. Let's
do that tradition proud.

With hope,

Emma, Ricken, Laryn and the rest of the Avaaz team

Sources:

CRTC plan to lift ban on false news prompts political investigation:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/crtc-plan-to-lift-ban-on-false-
news-prompts-political-investigation/article1898147/

CRTC notice of consultation on fair and balanced rule:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-14.htm

CRTC receives thousands of comments on 'false and misleading news'
amendment:
http://www.wirereport.ca/reports/content/11955-crtc_receives_thousands_of_co
mments_on_false_and_misleading_news_amendment

Avaaz submission to the CRTC - Feb. 9, 2011
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48882523/Avaaz-Re-BNC-2011-14

  _____

Avaaz.org is a 7-million-person global campaign network that works to ensure
that the views and values of the world's people shape global
decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz
members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 13
countries on 4 continents and operates in 14 languages. Learn about some of
Avaaz's biggest campaigns here <http://www.avaaz.org/en/highlights?footer> ,
or follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/Avaaz>  or Twitter
<http://twitter.com/Avaaz> .