[Sust-mar] re-sending link re: saving canadian journalism and democracy

Janet Larkman janet at larkman.ca
Wed Feb 16 15:20:03 EST 2011

Hello all -  apparently the link sent in the previous email didn't
work, so I'm trying again:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/canada_fair_and_balanced/?cl=939021230&v=8373

This should take you to the avaaz.org campaign to stop the CRTC from
passing a huge loophole to the “fair and balanced” rule that currently
prevents media from outright lying to the public.  I just checked, and
they have 58,000 signatures.  The target is 60,000.

Here's what avaaz says:

"Canada's broadcast journalism standards are an impediment to the new
"Fox News North" (Sun TV) network being set up by Prime Minister
Harper's cronies, which promises to mimic Fox News -- the poisonous US
propaganda network. The CRTC rule change, whichallows false news to be
blasted across Canadian airwaves, comes just as SunTV is about to
launch. We can stop this -- last year, we prevented Harper cronies
from pressing the CRTC to fund "Fox News North" with public money.
Now, we have just two days to raise another national outcry to save
the standards of Canadian journalism, and our democracy. Sign the
petition, and then tell everyone about this campaign."