[sust-mar] Executive Director, full-time, Nourish Nova Scotia, Dartmouth / Hybrid

FoodWork Local Food Jobs foodwork at planetfriendly.net
Wed Nov 29 15:57:42 EST 2023

* Work in healthy, local & sustainable food - FoodWork.ca *

Local Food, Sustainable Food
https://FoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/924596

Position: Executive Director
Location: Main office in Dartmouth North with potential for hybrid work.
(Open to residents of Nova Scotia, or those willing to reside in Nova Scotia)

Salary: $75,000-$88,000

TO APPLY

Please send a cover letter and resume merged into one PDF document referencing the position title in the subject line to humanresourcesnourishns at gmail.com . Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca. Application deadline is on or before 4pm on Tuesday, January 9th, 2024. No emails or phone inquiries please. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.

We are a welcoming and supportive workplace. Applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: African Nova Scotian, Mi’kmaq or Indigenous, other visible minorities, 2SLGBTQIA+ or person(s) with disabilities.

WHO WE ARE

Nourish Nova Scotia (Nourish) was founded in 2013 by a group of dedicated stakeholders who identified a need for children and youth in Nova Scotia to be healthy and well-nourished so they could reach their potential in the classroom and in life. Nourish is committed to developing and expanding food and nutrition programs in partnership with communities and schools where children live, learn and play.

Since inception, Nourish has stayed true to its original vision, mission, purpose, and values. Today Nourish boasts a budget nearing the one-million-dollar mark and a staff complement of seven. They have made significant impact by supporting the expansion of school breakfast programs, today reaching approximately 98% of all public schools across the province. School lunches, farm to cafeteria snacks, gardens and food literacy programming are active areas of growth and development. Nourish understands that by empowering children and youth with food knowledge and skills, they are building generations of healthy eaters and food champions.

Nourish is a founding member of the Coalition for Healthy School Food (CHSF), a national advocacy group. The CHSF is seeking a Canada-wide school food program committed through federal government investments and delivered in partnership with school communities.

Learn more at nourishns.ca

WHERE WE ARE TODAY

Nourish seeks a dynamic, strategic, and experienced executive to lead the next chapter in their story. An innovative and inspiring leader with non-profit experience who excels in carrying out strategic and operational priorities while ensuring financial stability. Building on the legacy of the last ten years, the new Executive Director will focus on growing and expanding capacity to support and develop food and nutrition programming in partnership with schools, community groups, government, and NGOs.

If you are a visionary leader and are passionate about nourishing children to reach their full potential, then we invite you to apply to lead Nourish Nova Scotia as their next Executive Director.

RESPONSIBILITIES

Leadership
• Using the power of storytelling, ignite a passion for our mission with all organizational stakeholders; staff, board, volunteers, and donors—propelling them to invite others to join in our good work.
• Build an authentic sense of belonging for those who have found their way to our organization, ensuring that our environment is diverse, equitable and inclusive.
• Promote a positive and productive culture where employees, volunteers and partners are motivated, empowered and inspired.

Board Partnership
• Build, cultivate and nurture a true partnership with the Board of Directors founded on mutual respect and trust to maximize impact and reach.
• Provide the Board of Directors with the resources, information, and training necessary to fulfill their duties and to be Nourish ambassadors.
• Actively engage with board committees to help identify prospective board members who will bring the lived experience needed for the board to be the best partner it can be.

Community Building
• Build authentic relationships and engage with partners and stakeholders to advance a healthy, just, and sustainable food system in Nova Scotia.
• Plan, execute, and facilitate a range of collaborative consultations, building consensus to enable program expansion and development.
• Advocate to advance the mission of the organization.

Growing Resources
• Serve as the fundraiser in chief of the organization, working with staff, board, and volunteers to identify prospects and secure gifts.
• Co-author and execute an annual fund development strategy.
• Develop strategies to ensure donors are nurtured from their first gift.

Management
• Build, lead, mentor and retain an effective and diverse staff team who are dedicated to the mission and have the required skills to be successful in their work.
• Establish effective processes to ensure that voices are heard at all levels of the organization and short and long-terms goals are measured and met.
• Ensure Nourish is resting on a fiscally secure foundation and that forecasts, fiscal status, and budgets, are transparent and communicated in an accessible manner.
• Guide development and achievement of workplan goals and objectives based on the mission of Nourish as identified in strategic priorities.
• Ensure deliverables with government and community funding partners are satisfied.
• Act as the communications spokesperson. Use persuasive and compelling communications (written and verbal) to tell the Nourish story.

Impact
• Oversee a programmatic portfolio designed with a deep understanding of the communities Nourish serves, aligned with strategic priorities, work plans and objectives.
• Bring a spirit of innovation to programs with an eye to piloting new ideas to complement existing work.
• Evaluate existing programs regularly and adapt as needed to meet the needs of those we serve.
• Nurture crucial relationships with government and community partners, building on existing advocacy efforts to further the mission of Nourish.

THE IDEAL CANDIDATE

Our ideal Executive Director has a minimum of 3-5 years of leadership experience, preferably in a non-profit or charitable environment, a bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field (i.e., Registered Dietitian, Health Promotion, Community Development). The ideal candidate will embody the values of Nourish and bring leadership and strategic insights to the work through the following skills and characteristics:
• Experience in government relations, (municipal, federal, provincial)
• Financially literacy in budget planning and forecasting
• Familiarity with the diverse food environments in communities across Nova Scotia—the barriers, challenges, and enablers
• Knowledge of how food can enhance overall health and well-being
• Understanding of the social determinants of health, population health, and how these impact the lives of Nova Scotians
• Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
• Displays a thoughtful, calm, and tactful professional demeanor
• Listens and meets people where they are to engage in meaningful dialogue
• Leads, manages, and collaborates with intention
• Culturally responsible and emotionally intelligent
• Digitally savvy with enthusiasm about its possibilities
• Compelling communicator and storyteller
• Leads with a growth mindset, open to learning and adapting

Assets
• Existing relationships with school communities and/or education, health, or food organizations
• French language skills

COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS

Salary: $75,000-$88,000
Group Benefits Plan
Flexible hours
Professional membership fee reimbursement
Three weeks vacation plus time off for December holidays

Nourish is located in Punamu’kwatu’jk, or so-called Dartmouth, part of Mi'kmak'i, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq peoples. While this is where our offices are located, we support food work from Unama'ki to Kespukwitk. As Treaty people, we strive to work under the Peace and Friendship Treaty of 1752 by incorporating Mi'kmaw values, like cooperation, stewardship of nature and sharing, into what we do, but recognize that we have much learning and unlearning still to do. Nourish recognizes the inequities connected to colonization and commit to working towards creating an equitable, diverse, and inclusive and community for all. We invite you to reflect upon this land acknowledgement, what it means to your personal story. In the spirit of equality and inclusion, if we can improve on this statement, please contact us.

https://FoodWork.ca/hiring
https://GoodWork.ca/924596

Please indicate that you saw this posting at FoodWork.ca

Please share: http://FoodWork.ca/924596

--
FoodWork.ca
Work in Local/Sustainable/Organic Food & Agriculture

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at foodwork.ca

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "FoodWork") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: FoodWork.ca/terms