[sust-mar] HIRING - Community Climate Activator, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax...

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Sep 13 11:38:16 EDT 2023

* Work in nature, environment & sustainability - GoodWork.ca *

Climate Crisis, Climate Action
https://GoodWork.ca/Climate
https://GoodWork.ca/950196

Position: Community Climate Activator
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Community Climate Activator

VALUING LIVED EXPERIENCES

EAC’s vision is of a just and vibrant world of respect, belonging, and ecological resilience. As a team, we are working to decolonize, further equity, and dismantle the harmful systems at the root of the interconnected crises of environment and justice that we tackle every day. We strive to bring an equity lens to all that we do, including by building a strong and diverse team.

We encourage applications from individuals from equity-deserving groups including, but not limited to: African Nova Scotian and other racialized people, Mi’kmaq and other Indigenous people, lesbian, bisexual, gay, transgender and queer people, and persons with disabilities. If you are a member of an equity-deserving group and feel comfortable doing so, we encourage you to self-identify in your cover letter or application. We prioritize diversity in our selection process.

ABOUT US

The Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is a fierce and creative environmental charity based in Mi’kma’ki/Nova Scotia. Since 1971, we have proudly tackled critical environmental issues from biodiversity protection to climate change to environmental justice. Grounded in community, we act as a watchdog, convenor, mobilizer and incubator, taking a holistic approach to the environment and the creation of a just and vibrant world.

We strive to promote a diverse and inclusive organizational culture that emphasizes collaboration, caring, quality work, and real impact. We value our members, volunteers, employees, and partners and strive to create a space of respect, belonging and resilience.

We have a team of passionate and determined people who share ideas and inspire others to create systemic change in the face of urgent, complex environmental issues.

ABOUT YOU

As a Community Climate Activator, you are eager to use your community engagement skills to catalyze climate action, leadership, and commitment. You are ready to apply a creative and collaborative lens to co-create and deliver public engagement sessions and training workshops that empower people to take climate action in their lives and spheres of influence. You are passionate about climate justice and believe in the power of community-led approaches to transformative change.

YOUR FOCUS

You will take a leadership role in co-creating a community engagement program to support the community-led component of HalifACT – Acting on Climate Together, HRM’s climate plan. The project is a component of a creative partnership between HalifACT, Halifax Public Libraries and the Ecology Action Centre, aimed at catalyzing climate action, leadership and commitment everywhere in HRM. With a focus on Halifax residents, the project weaves together threads of:
• Climate education – building awareness and understanding
• Climate engagement – inviting commitment to specific climate actions leading to ongoing relationships within a broader climate action movement
• Capacity building – working with community members to empower their sense of agency around the climate crisis and to learn skills for taking effective actions
• Artist-created objects – in the form of Climate Action commitment badges

You will report to EAC’s Community Engagement Manager and collaborate with the HalifACT team and the Halifax Public Libraries in co-creating and delivering this project.

WHY YOU SHOULD APPLY

Even if you don’t have all the requirements listed in this position, you may be the right candidate. Apply and tell us what you’d bring to the team.

WHAT YOU BRING
• Experience in community engagement and development, including meeting coordination, group facilitation, workshop design and delivery, and event planning;
• Strong relationship-building and partnership skills, with experience working collaboratively across sectors;
• A sound understanding of the systemic causes and effects of the climate crisis;
• Excellent communication skills, with an ability to deliver clear and compelling messages, both verbally and in writing;
• Passion for empowering community action and building individual and collective capacity;
• A deep and abiding commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in all its forms, and a cultivated ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens and framework to community development, project management, program design and delivery, and relationship building and repair.

TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Part-time position for 22.5 hours per week, with flexible hours within a Monday-to-Thursday schedule
• Hourly wage between $26-$30, commensurate with experience
• 18-month contract
• Hybrid work environment requiring 1-2 days a week at our office our renovated, energy-efficient green office building in Halifax’s North End
• 3 weeks paid vacation per year, plus 1 week of paid time off during the winter office closure in December (pro-rated for a 22.5 hour work-week),
• 12 paid holidays per year (pro-rated)
• 10 paid wellness days (pro-rated)
• Anticipated start date in early November 2023

TO APPLY

Please submit your resume and cover letter - APPLY HERE.

Please indicate you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.

The closing date is October 2nd, 2023.

We thank everyone who applied; however, we will only be contacting those who will be interviewed.

CLIMATE ACTION - JOBS & VOLUNTEERING
https://GoodWork.ca/Climate
https://GoodWork.ca/950196

Please share: https://GoodWork.ca/950196

--
GoodWork Green & Environmental Jobs
Work in environment, conservation, nature...

Questions, comments, feedback? talktous at goodwork.ca