[CANUFNET] Mycorrhizae

Geri Poisson geripoisson at yahoo.ca
Wed Jun 6 10:18:20 EDT 2007

Hi,

  I tried an experiment to innoculate seedlings with mycorrhizae by using soil transfers taken from within the dripline of a mature tree of the same species.
  I found that this techniques was very successful in getting mycorrhizae on the roots.  There was also difference in survival and growth in the first couple years.

  This is a simple and cost effective way of innoculating the trees with local species/genetic varieties.  A small amount of native soil transfers was needed to do the job (i.e., about a cup of soil or so).

  Hope this helps,

  Geri Poisson