[CANUFNET] Greenbelt Dumping info

For Trees Company Ltd. trees at fortrees.ca
Fri Aug 17 23:48:54 EDT 2007

Kim:
I used to live in the middle of a large Greenspace area in Calgary. I grew up there, and watched our land become surrounded by City. Eventually we were engulfed, an island of private land in a large natural area park. Dumping, littering and vandalism became all too common. I now live in a small town, and the problem is here too, and I suspect, everywhere else where people are raised without the opportunity to connect with and take ownership of natural areas. The idea that certain places do not belong to anyone and that therefore, all is permitted in such areas, has caused all sorts of grief though out the history of Western civilization. Only when cultures have recognized the sanctity and importance of having such areas, have such areas been able to have been preserved for all to enjoy. Fostering a culture of respect for natural areas must start at an early age. Sponsoring community educational events such as Arbor Day in schools is an excellent first step. Adopt a park programs, community watches, and area clean-up days are all excellent examples of what can happen once you start the ball rolling. Remember, never lose sight of the fact that you can and will make a difference in your town! All takes is a few people to start the change. Best of luck to you, and thank you for giving a damn.
Gerard Fournier