[CANUFNET] tree plaques

Ron Carter CarterR at saanich.ca
Thu Sep 13 19:41:52 EDT 2007

Saanich Municipality has adopted a no plaque approach to memorial/ commemorative trees and have instead designed a nice gold braided certificate for the family to keep on file. The certificate identifies who the tree was planted for and who by, what variety of tree and planting location. We also accept donations of money to plant trees in a particular park in the memory or celebration of loved ones. A certificate is provided for that situation as well.  This, I think has reduced the interest in tree donations however because most people want to see that tangible proof of who the tree was for and by whom it was donated on site for all to see.
What I think is the compromised solution and we have done this a few times, is to combine the tree with a memorial bench where there is a plaque on the bench which sits in front of the tree and solves some of the issues as well this combination eventually has created the perfect and picturesque environment of a bench shaded by a large beautiful tree.
Ron

Ron Carter,
Saanich Parks

work phone: (250)475-5526
work cel:       (250)883-0628
email:            Carterr at Saanich.ca
For more information on Saanich,
Visit our website: www.saanich.ca

>>> "Brad Doff" <braddoff at gmail.com> 9/12/2007 10:07 AM >>>
With respect to memorial tree plantings, the City of Thunder Bay has had
many requests over the years to install plaques at the base of trees (for
example in remembrance of loved ones or for an organizational cause).  Due
to installation and maintenance costs, and the need to develop plaque
standards, we've had to turn down requests for plaque installations in the
past.

Does your municipality have a policy regarding plaque installation?  If so,
what do you allow? What type of materials do you use to keep costs and
maintenance low?   Any insights regarding this issue would be appreciated.
Thank you,

Bradley Doff
Coordinator,
Tree Stewardship Program