[CANUFNET] Re: Tree Growth Regulators

Chris Gooderham (Mac) chrisgooderham at mac.com
Sun Oct 21 22:48:05 EDT 2007

Hi Ian:

I forwarded your question along to Bruce McGauley from the forest
city, (London, ON) and received the response below.
His point about the education campaign and species diversification is
worth noting.

Regards,
Chris

Re the London Plane question, - There are some products available in
the fruit production circles I believe that will impact on blossom
and fruit production - particularly in apples and other commercial
fruits. I am not sure that they are referred to as growth regulators
though. I would check with the ag folks at the provincial level and
then have to run some checks with the manufacturers to see if there
might be some info on London Plane. If no trials were done, the folks
in BC would have to experiment to see if the products are effective.

The danger here is that if you get on the treadmill of controlling
fruit production in one species, it may spread to other species. An
education program to teach folks that trees do these things and be
tolerant is a better approach. The other thing it points out is the
need for species diversity. Don't plant all the same tree in an area.
Perhaps there is an opportunity to remove some trees and interplant
with non London Plane and teach this lesson - and at the same time
reduce the problem. The caution here is to get everyone on board wrt
which trees are to be removed and why so you don't pit one neighbour
against another.

Bruce McGauley MScF, RPF
ACFOR
10 Gwendolyn St. (BIRR),