[CANUFNET] Tree Growth Regulators

C. Kavassalis c.kavassalis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 17:54:28 EDT 2007

Ian,

I have not seen any articles specifically related to the genus Platanus,
however applications of growth inhibitors like pacloburtrazol can
enhancefruit and flower production as a result of "the reallocation of
energy away
from shoot growth" in several species (e.g. Prossner, April 2006,
"Understanding pacloburtazol," Arbor Age). This has been documented in
apples, mangoes, eucalyptus etc.

While I am not an urban forester, you raise an interesting point which Urban
Foresters should perhaps more often consider,and that is the association
between trees and allergies.   The London Plane, for instance, is ranked 9
out of 10 on the Ogren Pollen Allergy Scales
(OPALS)<http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/opals.php>- 10 being the
most allergenic. At the same time, it is often considered an
excellent choice as a street tree when a typical cost benefit analysis is
performed, (e.g. McPherson, Jan 2003, "A benefit-cost analysis of ten street
tree species in
Modesto<http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/programs/cufr/products/cufr_162.pdf>,"
California Journal of Arboriculture.) Ironically, it ranks very highly for
pollution mitigation  (and therefore its ability to reduce associated
respiratory illness) but its allergic potential is rarely factored into that
ranking.

Catherine Kavassalis

**<http://search0.scholarsportal.info.myaccess.library.utoronto.ca/ids70/view_record.php?id=5&recnum=26&SID=f81f22a80c8118e40431f6ae221769e4>